Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden new crazy Dock hiding behavior

Recently my Dock show/hide behavior has changed:

1) If "Automatically Hide the Dock" is on, then Option-Command-D brings the Dock out for an instant, but it immediately pops right back in, hidden.

2) If auto-hide is off, then the command key sequence hides the Dock for an instant, but it pops right back out, visible.

In both cases, leaning on the command keys keeps the Dock visible/hidden for the duration, but as soon as I let go, back it goes!

Repaired permissions, trashed com.apple.dock.plist, yadda-yadda-yadda, and no joy.

Ever happen to anyone else?

PowerBook Pismo 500 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jul 8, 2006 9:54 AM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2006 11:54 AM in response to George Machen

Hi, George.

I can't reproduce the behavior you describe.

1. What changes did you make to your Mac before this problem arose? Any new software, widgets, etc.?

2. Are your running any Dock hacks or add-ons? If so, disable them.

3. Tried a different keyboard?

4. Checked for conflicting keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts?

5. An errant Startup or Login Item maybe the cause. My "Troubleshooting Startup and Login Items" FAQ can help you pin that down if such an item is causing the problem.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

---
Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Jul 22, 2006 6:26 PM in response to George Machen

Subject: Re: TextExpander support
Date: July 22, 2006 9:08:08 PM EDT

Hi George,

Thanks for your feedback. This appears to be a general Mac OS X bug, as we were able to write an application which simply enables key logging for assistive devices yet causes the same problem independently of TextExpander. We reported this bug to Apple (RADAR bug #4544742). We hope they fix it soon, as it certainly diminishes the experience of any application which uses assistive devices key logging.

Thanks for using TextExpander from SmileOnMyMac!

Regards,

Greg
TextExpander Support

PowerBook Pismo 500 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Sudden new crazy Dock hiding behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.