Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropbox automator script no longer working with Mavericks

Hi,

I use two versions of the following shell script (found on the net), launched by automator, to set up two Dropbox accounts :

User uploaded file

Since upgrading to Mavericks, the script hangs when execution is requested. If the execution is then stopped and then requested a second time, the script terminates normally. Anyone have any idea why this might be (I am no expert of either shell scripts or automator) ?

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:08 AM

13 replies

Nov 27, 2013 12:48 AM in response to kalakov

Thanks kalakov, but this does not work for me.

I see that in the Automator window from which this script is executed, there is a dropdown list "Shell:", which has several options : bin/bash, bin/csh, bin/ksh, bin/sh, bin/tcsh, bin/zsh, usr/bin/perl, usr/bin/python, usr/bin/ruby.

I have tried several of these options to no effect, other than that some cause Dropbox to say that my Dropbox has been disassociated, and I do I want to re-associate it.

As you can understand, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated!

Nov 28, 2013 2:47 AM in response to welshterrier

ok then do this. Once you have your first Dropbox account set up try the following steps:

1. Create a folder named "Dropbox-second" anywhere you like.

2. Open terminal, write "bash" and press enter.

3. paste the line below and press enter. (Dont close the terminal window)

HOME=$HOME/Dropbox-second /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox &

4. A second dropbox instance will open requiring you to sign in. Go ahead sign-in and then click advanced and point to the "Dropbox-second" folder you created.

5. Close the terminal window and close the second instance of the dropbox from the topbar. (Click on the icon -> Click on the gear -> Quit Dropbox)

6. Now open AppleScript Editor and paste the following

do shell script "HOME=$HOME/Dropbox-second /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

7. Click run and you will see the second icon of Dropbox in the topbar appear again.

8. Click stop and then from file save this as an application anywhere you like. Give a name like "DBMore" or anything you like.

9.Now to make sure everytime you login to your account the second dropbox starts, go to system preferences->users & groups-> select the current user-> click login items on the right->click the + sign to add "DBMore" application you created.

That's it you're done.

10. If you want to be able to differentiate between the two dropbox accounts click on the second dropbox icon in the topbar -> click the gear -> click preferences -> general -> use black and white menu bar icons.

Enjoy! Hope this really helps 😀

Nov 28, 2013 5:12 AM in response to kalakov

Great!

In fact, you solved two problems:

1) If I add the output redirection part (> /dev/null 2>&1) to my automator script, that script now executes normally on the first click on "execute" (see my original question).

2) By using AppleScript Editor instead of Automator to create my script and save it as an application, I actually get an application that can be executed autonomously, including during the login process as you said.

I thought that Automator did everything that Applescript Editor was meant to do, but apparently not. Suprisingly, when creating the script as an Automator "application", I get random results. When executing as a login application it seems to work, at least most of the time, but when double clicking on the same application from the Finder, I get an apple event timeout error code (-1710). I'm curiuous why this should be but you have found me a solution that works. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2014 5:46 AM in response to kalakov

Hello both. I did the the first time and it worked perfectly EXCEPT that the numpty I am, logged in to the same dropbox so now I have two icons for the same dropbox. I tried to run the whole thing again (including deleting and downloading DB again), but when I run the script in the terminal, it just runs the same db again and I don't get the log in page to allow me to log into the second DB account. Can I be helped?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2015 5:51 AM in response to kalakov

Kalakov, thanks for helping out on this thread. I ran the same script for a few years on my 2010 MBP running OS X 10.6. Unfortunately, once I updated to Mavericks about a year ago I noticed the 'dual instances' script stopped working. It may have coincided with updating Dropbox to v3.12.5, but I'm not sure which came first!

In any case, I re-did the steps you describe to create a new script, and now I get the following report from the Dropbox app (I changed personal details to 'user'):

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox

bn.VERSION: 3.12.5

bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed

bn.is_frozen: True

pid: 17838

ppid: 1

uid: 502

user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='user', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='First Surname', pw_dir='/Users/user', pw_shell='/bin/bash')

effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='user', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='First Surname', pw_dir='/Users/user', pw_shell='/bin/bash')

euid: 502

gid: 20

egid: 20

group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])

effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None

cwd: u'/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources'

real_path=u'/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources'

mode=040755 uid=502 gid=80

parent mode=040755 uid=502 gid=80

HOME: u'/Users/user/Dropbox-secondary'

appdata: u'/Users/user/Dropbox-secondary/.dropbox/instance1'

real_path=u'/Users/iaincox_imac/Dropbox-secondary/.dropbox/instance1'

mode=040700 uid=502 gid=20

parent mode=040700 uid=502 gid=20

dropbox_path: u'/Users/user/Dropbox-secondary/Dropbox'

real_path=u'/Users/user/Dropbox-secondary/Dropbox'

parent mode=040700 uid=502 gid=20

sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/python'

real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/python'

mode=0100755 uid=502 gid=80

parent mode=040755 uid=502 gid=80

trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-packages.zip/d ropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyo'

real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/site-pack ages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyo'

not found

parent not found

tempdir: u'/var/folders/b2/l2ys0zdj2470j7zbm84zd1980000gp/T'

real_path=u'/private/var/folders/b2/l2ys0zdj2470j7zbm84zd1980000gp/T'

parent mode=040755 uid=502 gid=20

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "dropbox/client/main.pyo", line 387, in wrapper

File "dropbox/client/main.pyo", line 3379, in finish_dropbox_boot

File "dropbox/client/main.pyo", line 2544, in start

File "dropbox/client/shell/legacy_mac.pyo", line 667, in __init__

File "dropbox/client/shell/legacy_mac.pyo", line 167, in __init__

File "dropbox/client/shell/legacy_mac.pyo", line 180, in bind

File "socket.pyo", line 228, in meth

error: [Errno 48] Address already in use

I think this means the python script is attempting to use the same port for both Dropbox instances, but really I have no idea what I am doing! Any suggestions?

Thanks 😕

Dropbox automator script no longer working with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.