Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar sync in Maverick with out iCloud, iPhone 1st gen

I would like to ask how to sync calendar with my iPhone 1st gen in Maverick? (With out iCloud??)

iPhone-OTHER, iOS 3.1.2

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 3:13 AM

Unless you purchase OS X server, US $20 in the Mac app store, you can't. Sync Services has been removed from Mavericks, thus you can no longer locally sync contacts/calendars.

28 replies

Nov 6, 2013 1:45 PM in response to wjosten

I do not want to have my personal information - contacts and calendar - sitting in a server somewhere else than in my own country. Australia has very strong privacy laws that protect its citizens. i do not want my data sitting n the USA where the US government, who have a habit of spying on people without their knowledge, can see my data under the Patriot Act. I want to be able to synch my personal data locally.

Nov 15, 2013 8:47 AM in response to appid

appid wrote:

do not want my data sitting n the USA where the US government, who have a habit of spying on people without their knowledge, can see my data under the Patriot Act

Then you should speak wtih your Australian intelligence agancies which provided the NSA your info.

I have made an official complaint to the Australian Information Commissioner.

Apple have breached Australian privacy laws with this change.

Except they haven't.

Apple has not put your info in the cloud.

The link you provided describes how businesses will handle the personal info they have (such as your iTunes account info, customer info, etc.).

Apple does not put your personal info into iCloud. You do.

Nov 16, 2013 5:20 PM in response to Chris CA

"Apple does not put your personal info into iCloud. You do."

Your right, however Apple most likely is going to data mine that "personal info" that you have so graciously parked on their servers. They are becoming another faceless outlaw company like Facebook and Google by forcing you to use their cloud service!

Do you really want to park your personal contacts with very personal information in them and risk a hack???

Sorry, but I will never trust the cloud for personal information storage. Has a BAD track record...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/tech/mobile/icloud-security-hack/index.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3957499?start=0&tstart=0

Nov 16, 2013 5:33 PM in response to carto

carto wrote:

Do you really want to park your personal contacts with very personal information in them and risk a hack???

I'm still trying to figure out what's so darned confidential about contacts. People put the information on business cards, lots of it's listed in the phone directories. Nothing in my contacts is information the government doesn't already have access to. And what are hackers going to do with my brother's cell phone number? What are other people putting in their contacts that is so private?

I'm not saying people should be forced to put their information anywhere they don't want to put it. But I just don't get it.

Nov 16, 2013 5:35 PM in response to appid

Android phones are starting to look better and better now.

You can connect and load files by usb, data stick, and memory card. Apple has now narrowed a very limited update and file sharing system for their devices. On an Android phone you can easily load an imported contact list to your address-book. That is now impossible without the cloud on IOS / OSX.

First Apple gutted iTunes a year back taking out cover flow and other very nice features and now they remove this. What next Apple?

This ***** bad. No choice! One type of transfer fits all.

Nov 16, 2013 5:43 PM in response to Chris CA

"Apple does not put your personal info into iCloud. You do."

Of course 'we do'. We are not robots as yet.

The point being that apple is trying to force us, i.e., eliminate all choice for those of us who are on mac platforms to have to use iCloud to sync our calendars. I do not want my personal information and the minutia of my daily life anyplace other than in my personal possession, thank you very much.

For the first time ever, I feel as if I may be forced to leave the Apple environment.

Maverick is a mess with too many problems and in reality is really in a beta state.

Sadly, Apple is loosing its luster.

Nov 16, 2013 5:50 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

"I'm still trying to figure out what's so darned confidential about contacts."

People don't have printed social security numbers, bank accounts, credit card numbers, medical conditions, employee histories, descriptions, their mistresses, software serial numbers, drivers licenses, arrest information, and password numbers on their business cards.

However MANY people put this information in the notes section of the contacts. Anybody with this information above could easily blackmail somebody or worse, do identity thief.

Understand.

Nov 16, 2013 5:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair

Its much more than 'contacts'. My schedule tells who I am, whats important to me, what I do, who I see, etc. Why should I not be able to keep this private on devices that I bought and paid for in the privacy of my home or wherever I choose?

The point is it should be my choice and not forced upon me. George Orwell is rocking his grave with laughter.

Apple has gone too far and is becoming more and more like an other ordinary American conglomerate that has no regard for its customers well being.

Actually Steve is rocking his grave as well because he's vomiting.

Nov 16, 2013 6:04 PM in response to carto

Now I'm ever more confused. I can't imagine why would I have my contacts' social security numbers, driver's license number or mistress's names in my contacts. I cannot imagine a cirumstance under which anyone would give me that sort of infomation about themselves. Unless, of course, I'm th one compiling a files for blackmail. Ah, well. I don't really care enough to spend more thought. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Best of luck.

Nov 16, 2013 6:01 PM in response to Doggienice

Doggienice wrote:

Its much more than 'contacts'. My schedule tells who I am, whats important to me, what I do, who I see, etc. Why should I not be able to keep this private on devices that I bought and paid for in the privacy of my home or wherever I choose?

I was asking specificaly about contacts. And, if you'll reread my post, I stated that I don't think people should be required to put their information anywhere they don't want to.

Calendar sync in Maverick with out iCloud, iPhone 1st gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.