Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ibooks pdfs do not sync between devices?

Is Ibooks supposed to sync between devices?

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 6:02 AM

29 replies

Aug 27, 2017 8:24 AM in response to lauren.success

As I said in that reply the 'Sync collections' does not copy PDFs and/or books between device. You can either use iCloud Drive to copy them (Use iBooks with PDF documents on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) or sync them via iTunes (which has always been possible), in a similar way as you sync music via iTunes i.e. select the device, select its Books tab, and select and sync what you

Aug 27, 2017 6:49 AM in response to King_Penguin

It's a few years later ago now - but (8/2017) with all the iOS updates I'm with andygld & Suz here. It's pretty ridiculous that it takes hours checking settings between iPad/iMac with all "Sync" settings for iBooks clicked AND cable connected between the 2 that I can't get .pdfs (files in general) from Mac to Pad. Overnight hours later, time spent updating iOS on Pad to be sure THAT's not the issue and still the only option on Mac coming up here: iTunes File > Devices > Transfer is to move from iPad to iMac. What about iMac (iBooks) where the .pdfs exist? What about Transfer to iPad? After all this- what tech available WITH cable connected? Right click on .pdf Share and still only option - MAIL!!! Ridiculous.

Nov 4, 2013 8:57 AM in response to kmikula

It won't copy the actual PDFs or epubs/ibooks between devices, the Settings > iBooks > Sync options will only keep in-line what you already have on your devices e.g. if you have the same PDF on 2 devices and you move it into a collection on one of them, then that setting will put it into the same collection on your other device - but if you don't have the PDF on the second device, then it won't copy it over.

Feb 15, 2014 11:25 PM in response to King_Penguin

I have content saved in ibooks on my iPad mini. The collections folders show across my devices, iPhone, macbook pro, and iPad mini. However it does not show the content of these folders. Can you help? Everything switched on and same ID etc. For example if I receive a PDF document on my iphone and I choose to open it in iBooks it will not auto sync to my ipad. Any help gratefully received!

iOS 7.0.4

Feb 16, 2014 12:12 AM in response to andygld

You need to copy your books/PDFs onto the devices/computers that you want them. If they are only on your iPad Mini then connect it to your computer's iTunes and do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases to copy them over to it and you can then sync them to your iPhone.

The sync collections will only keep your collections in-line i.e. if you have a PDF or book and you move it into a collection on one device, then if it is also on your other devices/computers then it will be moved into the same collection on them - but it won't copy the PDFs/books onto a device or computer, you need to copy it where you want it

Apr 5, 2014 7:59 AM in response to King_Penguin

Is this really the case? I'm getting more and more disenchanted with my iPad. It's implied in all the advertising that iCloud will 'magically' make sure everything stays synched between your devices. But is it actually true that the pdfs I have saved in a collection on my iPad (which were downloaded from any old website), will not sync to my mac at all? How is this helpful in any way? I've got 'sync all books' selected in itunes on the mac, and 'sync collections' selected in the settings on all my devices.

Edited to add: they don't sync over iCloud or when i have the iPad connected by cable, if that was not clear.

Quite frankly, this is rubbish and in my opinion, blatant false advertising. Is there some annoyingly cumbersome workaround I can use??

Ibooks pdfs do not sync between devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.