Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall data after Maverick upgrade

I attempted to install Maverick last night and the installation got hung up to the point it ran all night saying "less than one min" remaining. I finally had to force shut down my mac this morning and when it rebooted, it took me through the set up steps like it was a new machine. It asked me if I wanted to restore my data and after many attempts with my Lacie HD connected directly to the Mac, it would not even recognize the drive so I had to bypass this step. I am now trying to figure out how to restore my back up data onto my mac. My backup was on mountain lion and the machine has 10.9 on it now. I have a time machine back up but also another backup that is in a start up disc format I believe. Whats the best way for me to get my system restored? Can I just revert back to mountain lion and see if it will recognize my external back up drive?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 4:54 AM

17 replies

Nov 4, 2013 5:20 AM in response to Cumby

You can try to see if he recognize your HD, by looking it up in the Finder.

If so you can try to restore data using the "Migration Assistant" but that might have you ending up with a second user.

If you want to restore a full backup, I would go to the Recovery HD (Command + R) and selecting the first option. Remember this will erase your internal HD and then restore the backup from your external HD. You might even be able to revert back to Mountain Lion.

Manually restoring might be the safest way tho, as you do not know for sure your external HD will be recognized.

Edit: You can always manually retrieve your data by opening your external HD via the finder, and then opening your Time Machine backup.

Message was edited by: Shoozzz

Nov 4, 2013 6:20 AM in response to Shoozzz

When you say manually, are you referring to picking what I want to back up vs doing a full restore? I would like to get it back to the state it was in before if possible. I also have a second back up drive that I use CCC with that I may be able to do a full restore with. Should t it revert back to mountain lion with either disc doing a complete restore?

Nov 4, 2013 6:37 AM in response to Cumby

Yes that is what I mean with manually.

Doing a full restore, then you should follow the other option using the command + R option.

About CCC, I am not sure.. I kinda only use official software and no 3rd party software.

If you go to the Recovery HD, the first option will completely restore a backup, but then ofcourse your external HD has to be recognized.

Nov 4, 2013 6:44 AM in response to Shoozzz

Im not in front of my mac right now and will have to check later. If it wont recognize the HD in finder, which Im afraid of because I tried to turn time machine back on and it wasnt listed as an option, then am I out of luck as far as using that drive? What if I were somehow able to revert to mountain lion?

Nov 4, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Cumby

I would still advise you to check the first option in the Recovery HD, just to see if it will recognize your Time Machine backups, if so, they also should tell you on what OS the backups are made. You might even be able to restore to a backup made on Mountain Lion that way (Not sure if it will bring you back to Mountain Lion tho(Let me know!)).

Nov 4, 2013 8:42 AM in response to blackdogaudio

Just thinking. I have my external hard drive daisy chained to an another drive that has my iphoto/imove libraries on it. Im guessing I will have to connect the back up drive directly to the mac and leave the iphoto drive disconnected? Assuming that I can get it to restore, I should be able to reconnect both drives as I had them and them both be recognized?

Nov 4, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Cumby

I'd say it's worth a shot. If it's still not recognizing the drive, try resetting the NVRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Nov 4, 2013 11:20 AM in response to Cumby

Just tried all suggested solutions. HD is not being recognized. When I boot in restore mode, it cant find any time machine back ups on the drive. I am currently recloning my mac hard drive with my CCC back up from a week ago. Looks to be working ok and will hopefully take me back to before mavericks? Looks like this is a big issued for Lacie and Western Digital external drives from what Ive seen online. Thanking myself right now for having multiple back up plans!

Nov 5, 2013 9:02 AM in response to Cumby

Since upgading to mavericks migration assistant no longer sees my backup on my external drive that I use for my time machine backups. The drive mounts fine and I can access my backups through my finder using "enter time machine", but I can not restore because migration assistant can't see the drive. I don't knoe if it's a time machine issue or a mighration assistant issue. I have tried on several macs and with several different hard drives but migration assistant cannot restore from my time machine backups. I suggest everyone make sure they can restore from their time machine backups because this may be a major problem and result in complete loss of data. I have found no solution yet.

Nov 7, 2013 1:42 AM in response to Cumby

I've heard more about the LaCie and Western Digital things also.

I'm also glad you at least made multiple backups, and are able to get to work again.

Further, I do think contacting Apple about this might be good, this will make them aware, and process it in an update or something.

Hopefully it will get fixed, so you can work with your external hard drive again!

Nov 7, 2013 9:52 AM in response to Shoozzz

Yes, thank goodness for multiple back ups and CCC. I was able recover everything back to where I was last week. This needs to be fixed before I will consider Mavericks again. I did rate the upgrade and put my disappointed comments on the website. Is there somewhere better to report this to apple?

How to reinstall data after Maverick upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.