Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio only playing when using compontent AV cables w/ ipad 2

Hello! Really hoping someone has a solution for this problem.

I am currently producing ibooks that rely heavily on the video content. One of the requiements it that we be able to use component AV cables to view the video content on older televisions (without HDMI inputs).

About a year ago, when iBooks Author was released, I was able to use the component AV cables with NO PROBLEM! Now, when I play the videos on the iPad2, the same device that worked before, only the audio is outputting, not the video.

I do have an ibooks book, The Boxcar Children, that has a video included, and that video (and audio) still plays and works. Or I should say, it work MOST of the time, but has required rebooting of the ipad. Audio & video works in movies and netflix. I get audio only using Vimeo, YouTube, & Podcasts as well.

Since the video originally played, I upgraded the computer OS, the iBooks Author softward, the iPad OS and the iBook App. I have also tested other ipad 2s as well.

Is there some video setting on the iPad 2 that I'm not aware or of, or is there some other video file I can use in the creation of the ibook that will enable the video to play?? I don't think I can go back to the earlier version of iBooks Author, which is what the Boxcar Children must have used to publish.

Thanks so much for your help!

related links to content:

Boxcar Children

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/boxcar-children-mysteries/id411756356?mt=11

Early Learning Tips discussion guide

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/early-learning-tips/id697076266?mt=11

Social & Emotional discussion guide

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/social-emotional/id697076340?mt=11

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3, ibooks Author and OS X 10.7.5 2.1.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 7:33 AM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2013 7:50 AM in response to K T

HDMI and AirPlay/WiFi aren't really possiblities for us. We're going into the faith community with the iPads and need to be able to connect and play on older TVs. It totally worked when we originally tested it - but since the upgrades, something changed with the video export settings and now they won't play using the A/V cable. There is some kind of bug. I really DO need so send it to an external monitor, using those A/V cables!!

This is the response from another test I had a friend run for me.

So the books look and play nicely on the iPad in iBooks and in iBooks running on

the Mac OS Mavericks. However there is something with the video when going full

screen to an AppleTV or screen mirroring to AppleTV. The sound in the beginning is

dropped. Using the "Nutrition" video, the beginning music is not there. When the

"Brainstorm" graphic appears, so does the audio. It is really weird. If you want

it back, I would probably go back into iBooks Author and check the encoding/export

options. Then again, it works just fine on an iPad. So the question is, do you

really need to send the video external and/or the iBook to an external monitor?

Nov 5, 2013 8:06 AM in response to DPTV Carrie

If you think something has changed, which is entirely possible gven the latest iOS, iBooks and iBA, you may want to seek advice at the nearest Apple store to confirm the older cabling is still viable for your needs.

Be sure to test with other ebooks (not yours), etc. first, so you can have a good idea of all the factors involved, etc.

Know that your requirements are frequently second to Apple's - Don't be surprised to learn that legacy support has changed, however....it's not called bleeding edge for nothing 🙂

Good luck.

Audio only playing when using compontent AV cables w/ ipad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.