Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5c screen making 'clicking noise' on replaced phone

Alright guys let me be blunt...I have already had to go to the genius bar once already because my iPhone 5c was making a clicking sound when I pressed on the screen. They gave me a replacement and the world was good and right again....However; this morning my replacement 5c started making the clicking sound AGAIN! Is it just me? or is anyone else having any bad luck with their 5c's and the clicking screens? Let me tell you my phone ALWAYS has a phone case on and has never been dropped...so what is causing this clicking screen phenominom and also do you think the apple store would be willing to replace my already replaced phone because of this problem? I'm so frustrated with this problem :/

iPhone 5c

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 7:04 AM

14 replies

Jan 6, 2014 10:46 AM in response to banditXcub

My daughter bought the 5C in October 2013. In November, we made an appointment at the local Genius Bar to ask about the screen popping (sounds like the home button) when you press on various parts of the screen.

Person at the Apple Store replaced the phone saying they agreed it didn't seem right that the screen should make that popping noise, though the screen was still solid within the plastic case.

The new 5C eventually started doing the same thing...so we returned to the Apple Store in late December. This time, they said the popping sound was a "design feature". They claim the Apple engineers designed the screen to "give" to make the phone more durable. They said they were not told of the "design feature" until they had replaced a bunch of 5Cs.

I explained that my fear was that the "design feature" would eventually result in a flaw with the 5C after the warranty expired. They said that the 5C just won some award and I should not worry (like those awards mean anything). They also suggested I purchase Apple Care in case there was a problem after the warranty. Of course, I pointed out that the 5C just won an award and I shouldn't need Apple Care.

The 5C screen seems to pop more when it gets hot from use. To this point, it does not affect the function of the iPhone, other than to annoy my daughter when it's doing it a lot.

I've seen many reports on various websites of this issue, so thought I would share what Apple is now saying (at least at my local store in St.Louis

Jan 6, 2014 10:59 AM in response to banditXcub

I have replaced my whit iPhone 5c FOUR TIMES for this exact problem!!!! I just recently replaced my iPhone and it started clicking today. However part of me wonders if this is just how the iPhone 5c is built. The screens are supposed to have a little give and I wonder if the clicking is just some sort of component in the device moving around in the housing. Let me know what others think.

May 6, 2014 6:27 AM in response to banditXcub

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem! I bought a 5C (c=clicking), and after 2 months had the clicking starting on the right side of the phone. Went to the place I bought it and got a new one. After one month, the same thing with the second 5C...

I chatted with apple support and they said 'is the first time they hear about it". Also called Apple support and no luck either.

An advise friends: never buy 'unapologeticly plastic' products from Apple!

May 28, 2014 7:20 AM in response to banditXcub

I got a 5c 16gb white a couple of weeks ago.

1st iphone 5c 16gb. Creaking and popping sound from corners where the screen meets the plastic.

Phoned up Vodafone, they said "no more 16gb in stock, we can offer you an 8gb.

I said no and their reply was you can send it to us for repair or take it to your nearest Apple Store (thats 35miles x 2).

Took into the Cambridge store here in the UK, they took it away, claimed they fixed it. 5 mins later, I checked it and it was still making that noise, so I took it back.

The head Genius person claimed there was nothing wrong it, I requested it be replaced, so they gave me a reconditioned one (not brand new)

Got it home, after a day, I could hear the popping / creaking noise again.

Phoned up Applecare. They said take it back to the store. I said to them, the attitude wasnt pleasant in the store and has I had not registered the phone, I felt like I was some kind of criminal. I refuse to pay out for petrol (again) So Apple care sent out a replacement via UPS.

So I am now on my 3rd iphone 5c and this is now creaking on one side. Apple will replace again, but I am now waiting for my Credit Card to clear as the deal is that they have to take the cost of the phone from you to cover the old one being sent back. Once they do the check to see if it is ok and does not have water damage etc, they return the monies to my account.

What is it with these plastic phones?

5c screen making 'clicking noise' on replaced phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.