Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Retention

First Generation Macbook Pro Retina and Mountain Lion with no image retention at all. After installing Mavericks, I have image retention. It shows up most noticeably in the notification area. Oddly, if I have a notification it is less noticeable. However if I shut down the laptop, instead of the nice gray screen you get just before the machine shuts down there is a lovely, though slightly dimmer image of my desktop. How is it possible to have no image retention under Mountain Lion for a year, but Mavericks creates image retention?

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 7:36 AM

12 replies

Nov 6, 2013 8:38 AM in response to gwseymour

gwseymour wrote:

How is it possible to have no image retention under Mountain Lion for a year, but Mavericks creates image retention?

Good question. What you're seeing at Restart/Shutdown isn't IR, it's Mavericks. I had the same thing and it went away after a clean reinstall of Mavericks. My previous install was an upgrade over ML.

I have a mid-2012 rMBP and had IR within ML and Mavericks. I recently (2 months ago) took mine into a local Apple Store during my warranty and they replaced the screen. I had an LG and they replaced it with a Samsung. I no longer have IR in either ML or Mavericks. If possible, you might want to take yours in to be tested and see if it qualifies for a repair.

Nov 11, 2013 5:43 PM in response to keg55

I came to this forum because I have the exact same problem. I did a completely clean install of Mavericks, even wiped the hard drive beforehand, and I still have the same IR problem. I never had any IR issues with ML and believe me, I tested exhaustively for it before my original return/exchange window expired. If I read correctly, you already had your LG screen replaced with a Samsung yet still encountered image retention on your first upgrade attempt of Mavericks, correct? If so, that rules out the LG screen (which I have) and Mavericks upgrade (vs clean install) as culprits. However, it definitely has to be something within Mavericks because it's odd I've never had an issue with IR, even after deliberate attempts to invoke it, until now.

Nov 12, 2013 7:42 AM in response to gwseymour

gwseymour wrote:

However if I shut down the laptop, instead of the nice gray screen you get just before the machine shuts down there is a lovely, though slightly dimmer image of my desktop. How is it possible to have no image retention under Mountain Lion for a year, but Mavericks creates image retention?

Sorry guys but this is not an Image Retention. I would say this is how it's going to look like when your are shutting down or restarting your system. Do a simple test. Keep Safari window open and restart or shutdown your mac. If that would be an issue with IR then beside your dimmed wallpaper, you should see also Safari window. I don't know how about you, but in my case, i can only see Wallpaper and i did have Safari window open for good 10 mins.

The only thing, that i'm not sure is this:

I have image retention. It shows up most noticeably in the notification area. Oddly, if I have a notification it is less noticeable.

i'm not expiriencing anything like it on my MacBookPro10,1.

Nov 12, 2013 8:00 AM in response to datascientist

datascientist wrote:

I also see retention using this test Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test - Marco.org

Which had nothing to do with the wallpaper.

My above post was a respond to what gwseymour descirbed in first post.

In your case i would first look into this article: Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays

I won't be a bad idea to book an appointment in ARS and test your device.

Nov 21, 2013 5:37 AM in response to gwseymour

I'm glad i'm not the only one here..

After upgrading to Mavericks (10.9) I also see this on shutdown, The URL pointed to eariler must have just been a coninsidence, because it didn't happen to me

Apple states on their site 'This is normal for IPS displays." Which is BS... in no way in the world would this be considered 'normal'

all those people fraking out about ghost images on the nw Macbook Pro Retina's would have just 'ignored' it and gone back to work as if nothing has happened..

Add to this, I can confirm its Mavericks, as it doesn't happen on 10.8.x

Gonna raise a few questions at the Apple Store tommorrow.

Nov 21, 2013 6:22 AM in response to gwseymour

I think I found the answer my my other post :-

It makes sense, in Mavericks from a trasition from your wallpaper to grey, it stops, making it *look* like image retention, when its not.

However, this wouldn't exlain why it only sometimes happens, and only with my own wallpapers, not default ones. Although, this could possibly be solved in a software update.

This problem is clearly not hardware issue

Image Retention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.