Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faulty iPad Air - Smart Cover misaligned

I bought a new iPad Air on Saturday and a Smart Cover today.

When I put the Smart Cover on the iPad it does not line up correctly.

It overhangs the iPad at the top by 2mm and the iPad is exposed at the bottom by the same amount.

I took the Smart Cover back as I was sure it would be the issue, but when we traied it on the iPads in the Apple Store it fit perfectly.

When we then tried other covers on my iPad they were all misaligned by 2mm. It looks really bad.

Apple agreed that the iPad is faulty but as I did not buy it from them they could not swap it and I had to return it to John Lewis for an exchange.

Apple said they would swap it under warranty but I would need a Genius appointment to do that, and there are none available for the next 6 days!

So I took the iPad back to John Lewis who agreed that the iPad was faulty and that they would swap it - problem is they have none in stock.

So although I can use the iPad it does need to be replaced, I just have no idea when that will be which is not great service.

Has anyone else seen this problem with any iPads in the past?

It is a stange one and both stores said they had not seen it before.

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, Air

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:10 AM

Hi,

I have never come across this problem before, but it must be that the magnets in the iPad itself were misaligned. I think the best thing for you to do is to just book a genius appointment just incase John Lewis still doesn't have stock in a week. Apple will always have stock for replacement and if John Lewis does have the stock sooner you can always just cancel your appointment.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

Hi,

I have never come across this problem before, but it must be that the magnets in the iPad itself were misaligned. I think the best thing for you to do is to just book a genius appointment just incase John Lewis still doesn't have stock in a week. Apple will always have stock for replacement and if John Lewis does have the stock sooner you can always just cancel your appointment.

Nov 4, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

Usually the iPad's the give are refurbished. For their refurbished products, they use refurbished internals, but give you a brand new housing and possibly screen.

I'm pretty sure that as the iPad has only been out for a few days there will be no refurbished models available ayway so you'll probably just get a new one. Make sure to ask them first and they have a 14 day return policy anyway.

Nov 5, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Russ Risdal

It is interesting to know I am not the only person but worrying that Apple have not picked this up during production.

There must be a design or manufacturing issue that allows the magnets to be placed incorrectly.

I got a replacement iPad today at the Apple Store, they swapped it right away.

They had not seen it before and quite a few of the staff came over to have a look as it was so unusual.

I'm happy now with my iPad.

Nov 7, 2013 11:59 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

Had the same issue with my iPad Air purchased in Hong Kong. Other people seem to have been having the same problem. Staff at the Apple Store were really helpful and they will swap it for a new unit today. It's a shame Apple quality control seem to have dropped the ball on this one and of course many people may not realise they have a faulty unit if they don't use smart covers.

Nov 7, 2013 12:04 PM in response to mediafriendly

mediafriendly wrote:

and of course many people may not realise they have a faulty unit if they don't use smart covers.

Agreed. If they get a Smart Cover some time later (like after their warranty has lapsed), I would hope Apple would do the right thing and still replace it. This is a true manufacturing defect, out of the box. If I ever got an Air, I would certainly have it checked with a Smart Cover at the Apple Store well before the warranty is up.

Nov 7, 2013 12:12 PM in response to SergZak

In the UK a fault like this (manufacturing fault present from the time of purchase) is covered for 6 years under the UK Sale of Goods Act.

Under the Sale fo Goods Act it might not be Apple who would be liable for repairing or replacing the iPad though.

Under the Sale of Goods Act your contract is with the reatailer who sold you the iPad, which might be Apple or not.

In either case the reatailr must deal with it.

Ian

Faulty iPad Air - Smart Cover misaligned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.