Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ePub books not syncing between Maverick iBooks and iPad

The books on my Mac won't sync to my iPad. I can read them fine on my laptop but can't transfer them. I tried moving the files to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books as was suggested somewhere here but they still won't sync. I cannot buy ebooks from the iBook store because there is none in my country; how am I supposed to read them on my iPad/iPhone?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:13 AM

23 replies

Nov 9, 2013 5:42 AM in response to HKPhil

I have a similar issue. There was an epub on my iPad 1 with notes and highlights which did not download to it on restore because iCloud stopped it for older iOS.

But when Mavericks came, the epub with all highlights, etc. appeared in iBooks for OS X. Now I got an iPad Air and the epub is not appearing in iBooks for iOS on it.

Yes, I'm using the same iCloud account on my Mac and iPad Air because Pages, Numbers, iAWriter, etc are in sync.

Nov 28, 2013 8:50 AM in response to HKPhil

You can use Dropbox in the Mac and iPad.

Put the ePubs in a folder inside the Dropbox folder, open that folder in the iPad Dropbox app and you will see the books. Now you can open a book in Dropbox and "open in" in iBooks. The book will open in iBooks, in the same collection that you had it in the iBooks for Mac. And iBooks in Mac and iPad share the reading position and notes.

Dec 7, 2013 8:56 AM in response to HKPhil

Hey, calm down everyone.

There IS indeed a solution to this. You only have to do 2 simple steps that all your books are wirelessly updated no matter where you annotate them, on Mac with Mavericks or on iDevices running iOS7.

On Mvericks, the auto update feature is already set to be syncing. Go to the iBooks Preference > General and check the Sync Notes, bookmarks etc. This is a default setting. So there's nothing to do.

Then go to your iDevice and open up Settings > iBooks > Check the Sync Bookmarks and Sync Collections.

Then comes the magic. Everything will set up and sync automatically. Everything from notes, highlights and colections.

Voilla! 😎

Jan 3, 2014 1:36 PM in response to HKPhil

Hello! i'm having the same issue with a bunch of epub books I uploaded in ibooks, in my iPhone, and i just got a new iPad mini, and these files are not syncing in the iPad's ibooks app. All necessary checks are on in both iPhone and iPad Mini devices... I will apply the solution of dowloading each book from my drive in the cloud (Google Drive) but this is truly not the solution if you have thousands of books uploaded the same way I described.

I would recommend Google Play Books, which allows you to do this without any trouble. I synced my Android tablet books into my iPhone successfully, with this app.

Thanks in advance if you find a solution to this situation.

Jan 4, 2014 2:49 AM in response to gmarcial44

If you want them on your iPad then you will need to sync them via your computer's iTunes (connect your phone to your computer's iTunes and do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases to copy them over so that you can then sync them) - the Settings > iBooks > Sync Collections setting does not copy books between devices, all it does is if you move a book into a collection on one device, then if that book is also on your other device then it will be moved into the same collection on it.

Jan 17, 2014 11:33 AM in response to HKPhil

The syncing of purchased content issue appears to have been solved, however a solution to epub files either downloaded or purchased outside of the Apple Store and syncing them from Mavericks to an iPhone/iPad/iPod still has not.

I have Mavericks on my MBP (10.9.1), iPad Mini (iOS 7.0.4) and an iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0.4). My MBP has all of my epub/pdf files stored within iBooks. I have even created custom collections within iBooks, and classified all my epubs into their respective collections. Upon checking my iPad mini and iPhone 5s, the new collections appear, but the books do not. The current version of iTunes 11.1.3 no longer has Book inventory in it. I have attempted to drag and drop into iTunes, as well as doing File > Add to Library, pointed iTunes to my epub folder, and it imports nothing.

If anyone can provide directions on how to accomplish this, please let me know.

Jan 17, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Holmez78

You don't need to add them to your Mac's iTunes, and the 'sync collections' setting won't copy items between devices - all that does is keep any books / PDFs that you already have on your devices in the same collections.

To sync the epubs, connect the device to your Mac, select the device on the left-hand sidebar of your Mac's iTunes (option-command-S to enable the sidebar), and use the Books tab on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen to select and sync them to the device. With Mavericks it picks up your books library from its iBooks app, not from in iTunes itself like it used to.

Jan 17, 2014 12:23 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks King_Penguin, however even those steps are not functioning at all. I am no novice when it comes to Mac, as I am a registered developer, and a certified tech, and even I am having/experiencing these very same problems. I have even gone as far as performing clean installations of Mavericks, and testing varying patch levels, restoring my iDevices to factory and nothing syncs. Stood up a VM of OS X 10.9 in VMWare Fusion and I still get the same behaviors.

I am working on trying to capture debug logs for submission to apple for investigation.

Jan 17, 2014 1:07 PM in response to King_Penguin

Nope. In iTunes only a single book that I purchased using my iPad. When browsing my iPad I can see all of my purchased books with iCloud icons for download. However all of my purchased/downloaded books I have from outside of the iTunes/iBook store are not viewable or visible.

I go into iTunes with my freshly restored iPad mini connected via USB, click on my iPad, go to "On This iPad", select books and I see that very same book noted above. I have tried to enable Sync'ing all books and "selected books" and still nothing.

As noted in my previous post, I just today I created collections and sorted all my books respectively, and the new collections are viewable on the iPad but the books within the collections are not.

I am thinking at this point, my issue with not with iBooks, but with iTunes not properly linking to iBooks to share its contents with the iPad or my iPhone.

ePub books not syncing between Maverick iBooks and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.