Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't send messages from my phone number on iMessage on OSX Mavericks

I signed in with my apple ID that I use on my phone which is what my friend did and now she is getting all of the text messages from her phone on her computer. Mine won't do that but I checked my phoneand I am using the same appled id/icould id that i have on my phone on my computer but it isn't connected. Help?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:15 AM

32 replies

May 7, 2017 10:51 AM in response to iceblueboy

Hi,

If...

People ae still using Mavericks that are reading this then that version has an option to set the Country in the Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages account.

This option does disappear around Yosemite as the Mac is supposed to find out it's own location.

It is however simpler with smaller Contacts Lists to change each card.

User uploaded file

6:51 pm Sunday; May 7, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

May 8, 2017 12:33 PM in response to iceblueboy

Hi,

With Sierra and El Capitan version of the OS then setting Date and Time including the Time Zone plus the OS's ability to check out nearby by networks is supposed to give the Mac it's location.

I do find though that although I can get t to read "Ferndown" in the Time Zone (the whole of Great Britain is in the same Time Zone) and I have the correct Daylight Saving Time selected my IP address shows as London when I do a speed test with some sites.

Using the right Time Server in the Date and Time settings can have an impact.

Laptops that have been on a trip need to be checked when they get "home".

User uploaded file

8:33 pm Monday; May 8, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

May 6, 2017 8:12 PM in response to manderle11

May 2017 Update, Fix, Solution,: This started happening to me recently where iMessage on MacBook Pro and iMac wouldn't send unless the contact had iMessage and won't send to the mobile number.

After reading all answers about turning iMessage on and off and reactivating forwarding to and from the device and changing the Apple ID password it STILL didn't work.

What I have discovered is that this was ONLY doing this to the numbers in my contacts that didn't have the correct country code in front of them ie. 0400 400 450 didn't send in iMessage but as soon as I changed it to +61 400 400 450 (for example), it worked perfectly.

I've just gone into my contact list (which I share also via iCloud through all my devices and my iMessage is working perfectly now for all my contacts. I wish I had known this sooner rather than wasting over 2 days on this problem. I only discovered the solution by accident because the messages that weren't going through were the ones that didn't have the country code in front of them.

Thankfully fixed now. Found it easier to log into iCloud and update all my numbers from there 😉

Nov 4, 2013 8:18 AM in response to manderle11

Messages---> Preferences---> Accounts---> make sure your phone number is checked.

If it's not there, sign out of messages on both your Mac and iPhone. Sign back into the Mac first, wait a minute then back on your iPhone. Or it could be the other way around, I just had to do it the other day.

But realize this, actual text messages to non-Apple devices will not show up on your Mac.

KOT

Nov 6, 2013 1:13 PM in response to manderle11

Hi,

Do it this way.

On the Mac Shut down the Messages app

On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages.

Remove the Apple ID.

Place the iPhone in Airplane mode for 5 mins (this breaks with the server)

On restarting the iPhone in normal mode go to Settings > Messages and check the app is active, that the iPhone Number is listed and that it is greyed out but ticked as Active.

Re-add the Apple ID.

The break with the server and re-adding the Apple ID will cause the iMessages server to re-link them.

Now restart the app on the Mac.

You should one or two pop ups saying the iPhone is using the Apple ID and the iPhone number.

Accept the pop up(s).

Accepting the pop ups adds the iPhone number to the list in Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages account for the Receive At and the Send From drop down.

User uploaded file
9:13 pm Wednesday; November 6, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 7, 2013 1:24 PM in response to dizzydaczy

HI,

So you ran through the settings on your iPhone.

The Mac version of Messages lists the iPhone number as an option in the iMessages account for both Receive At and the Send From Drop down.

The Jabber account should make no difference.

Can you send iMessages from your Apple ID ?

User uploaded file
9:24 pm Thursday; November 7, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

I can't send messages from my phone number on iMessage on OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.