Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying Gap in Menu Bar - Mavericks

I am expericing a strange gap in my 'inactive' menu bar. I have a dual screen setup with Mavericks and the 'inactive' menu bar has a gap between two icons. When I click into this gap, it disappears but reappears between the same two icons on the (now inactive) menu bar on the other screen.

Spoke to an Apple Genius about it and he had no idea.

Thoughts!?

ACTIVE MENU BAR:

User uploaded file

INACTIVE MENU BAR:

User uploaded file

Not affecting my workflow in any way - it's just annoying!

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 9:10 AM

8 replies

Nov 4, 2013 9:17 AM in response to quicksilver733

SystemUIServer is the background process that specifically controls the right hand side of the menu bar where those menu extras are. So deleting that preference will reset your menubar to default. But since your active menu bar seems correct, I don't know if it will have nay effect.

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library". Then go to the Preferences folder and find and delete com.apple.systemuiserver.plist. Then go to the By Host folder also inside your Preferences folder and delete com.apple.systemuiserver.plist (also any with numbers). Then log out and back in, or restart.

Nov 5, 2013 12:35 AM in response to quicksilver733

Did you try to deactivate all the apps at the top? I would suggest you disable their appearance in the top bar, shut them all down, take them out of the boot items and then reboot. After that your bar should be clean. Restart the apps on after another an set them in the top bar again. With this approach you can identify the App causing the annoyance. But that's just a hint.

Check your boot items. It could also be an App that starts with OS X and crashes at one point, leaving a blank spot.

PS: dont forget to disable Timemachine and Airplay in the top bar, they could also be source of your problem...

Annoying Gap in Menu Bar - Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.