Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up iPhoto to external hard drive

HHow do I backup iPhoto to external hard drive

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:19 AM

15 replies

Nov 4, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Printhaus

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Apr 23, 2014 5:54 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks LarryHN and Old Toad. I am also told that G-Tech and Glyph are good EHDs. Anybody out there have experience with those companies? I am hearing that I should stay away from WD EHDs. I also want to back up in the cloud, but which company to bank on and does anyone use Synology or other NAS technology for photo backup?

Apr 23, 2014 11:20 PM in response to JohnB211

Simplicity and automation are key, otherwise the backup probably won't get done. Time Machine is, in my opinion, the simplest. The backbone of my strategy is time machine to several makes/models of external drives. I've had both WD and Seagate brand drives fail (1 each). Knock on wood, that was years ago. Many NAS's and DAS's have Time Machine compatibility. Synology and Drobo, for example.

Apr 24, 2014 5:57 AM in response to Boerne

Many NAS's and DAS's have Time Machine compatibility. Synology and Drobo, for example.

But not iPhoto library compatibility

there is no known cloud backup that works with iPhoto and no NAS - the library needs to be on a volume formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - a condition not met on the Cloud or on a NAS

LN

Feb 22, 2015 4:51 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi,

With regards to a NAS to store the iPhoto library it can be done if the NAS has the capability to create an iSCSI drive. The mac will see it as locally attached iscsi device. It is a bit complex to set up but doable.

1) Create the iscsi volume on your NAS

2) Map and initialise the iSCSI using a 3rd part iSCSI initialiser. I am using GlabalSAN legacy one and it is working fine.

3) format the volume using disk utility

4) Move a copy of your iPhoto library to it and test it out.

It seems to work for me and the data throughput is very fast. I think I read somewhere it is even faster than a SATA internal drive for some operations.

As I am in the process of setting it up I can't give any advice on incremental backups but I am sure it will work as the mac sees it as a locally attached drive like an external USB drive..

How do I back up iPhoto to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.