Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new macbook pro 15" (with nvidia 750m 2Gb), enough for games?

If I were to buy the more expensive macbook pro 15" (the one with nvidia 750m 2Gb), would i be able to play most games (through bootcamp) without problems? For example GTA 4 (and 5) and other.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 10:03 AM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2013 10:42 AM in response to steak119

steak119 wrote:

If I were to buy the more expensive macbook pro 15" (the one with nvidia 750m 2Gb), would i be able to play most games (through bootcamp) without problems? For example GTA 4 (and 5) and other.

The state of 3D gaming on Mac's is a sad one.

Yes you can play the current 3D games on that top end model of Mac, however Apple doesn't put awesomely powerful graphics in their laptops to better survive the newer games released.

After about 1 year or 2, your top end Mac laptop is near obsolete.

Apple has been gravitating away from powerful graphics in their portable Mac models over the last few revisions, in fact now only the top end 15" has heavy duty graphics, when all the 15" before did. Sure the Intel CPU graphics has increased, but not enough to replace dedicated graphics.

New models are also coming sealed up, so you can't clean them of dust that gaming accumulates.

So since Apple is signaling the end of 3D gaming on it's laptops, your better served on a PC.

I suggest you look at the Sager Notebook line, they can come with DUAL videocards, multiple RAID SSD's and up to 32GB of RAM, plus the ability to clean the dust out.

Since they come with Windows, that's one thing you won't have to buy like you would if running Apple's BootCamp to run Windows that way.

No problems with updating drivers or system tweaks neither, which is a problem on Mac's.

Good Luck 🙂

Feb 12, 2014 8:30 PM in response to steak119

Yes. It will play most games just fine. The NVidia 750m in the MacBook Pro (which I am posting on right now) ACTUALLY works better with Windows in Bootcamp because you can download the latest drivers straight from NVidia. I play Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham City, and LOTR: War in the North all in OS X at either 1440x900 or 1680x1050 on extremely high settings with v-sync and they all run great but I got better benchmark results in Windows and they would probably be even higher with a Linux OS given NVidia's history. 2880x1800 is a very intense resolution to run games in and the people that say Apple shouldnt release computers with graphics cards that cant fully utilize the screens native resolution do have a little ground to stand on, but those people probably havent sat down and edited hundreds of photos on a retina display. Yes I would have liked for Apple to have used a 780m instead of the 750m but the 750 is capable and there IS 2gb of physical GDDR5 on the chip so it has more potential than its showing and YES, I am waiting for Apple to update Mavericks with better support for the 750m and hope that once they do, the GPU performance will increase in OS X. Until then, if you want the most out of your 750m, try Linux or Windows 7 (or 8 i guess... 😟)

The new macbook pro 15" (with nvidia 750m 2Gb), enough for games?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.