Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad IOS matching

I have a gaggle of iPads, iPods and Macs of various ages, and I serve as my 88 year old father's IT department (as well as my 5 year old son's), so it helps greatly if our set ups are identical. I bought a few iPad 3s last year with iOS 5.1.1. I want to keep them on iOS 5.1.1 for a variety of reasons, but overall its for continuity- everything runs right, and I can mimic my father's steps to sort out issues over the phone or Skype, my son's iPad1 uses the same apps... My father and I live 3000 miles apart, I can't get to his hardware physically, I have to mimic his steps and instruct him. He gave up on the iPad 3 (wifi) I gave him, and gave it back to me. Someone had been fooling around with the settings, and among other things, upgraded to iOS 6.1.3. Maybe if I can get it back to 5.1.1 I could get him to use it again, or at least it would be more usable for me or my son.

I have read a lot of the discussions here about the inability to downgrade the iOS, so I expect no help there (although it would be great if I could).

I have reset the settings, but the iOS remains untouched. I haven't tried erasing, I think that would just get rid of my apps and data, but the iOS would still be 6.1.3 (and I would have to sort out the legacy apps).

Is there a way to clone my iPad3 to my Dad's iPad3, transferring my iOS 5.1.1 especially, and even better all the apps and settings?

If I backed up my iPad3, could I restore my iPad3 backup to my Dad's iPad3 including the iOS?

Is there any way I could restore it to the way it came out of the box, with iOS 5.1.1 ?

If I can't do any of that, is there a way I could buy an iPad 3 with 5.1.1- I would sell this one.

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 10:55 AM

No. Restoring from a backup made with an earlier iOS version still results in the iOS being latest iOS available for that model iOS device.

The only only to purchase an iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1 if you can find somebody selling one with iOS 5.1.1. However, you would be able to restore that from backup made on iOS 6.1.3 unless you update the iPad 3 to the curreint 7.0.3

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Rachel Corey

No. Restoring from a backup made with an earlier iOS version still results in the iOS being latest iOS available for that model iOS device.

The only only to purchase an iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1 if you can find somebody selling one with iOS 5.1.1. However, you would be able to restore that from backup made on iOS 6.1.3 unless you update the iPad 3 to the curreint 7.0.3

Nov 4, 2013 11:33 AM in response to lllaass

Illass wrote: "The only only to purchase an iPad 3 with iOS 5.1.1 if you can find somebody selling one with iOS 5.1.1. However, you would be able to restore that from backup made on iOS 6.1.3 unless you update the iPad 3 to the curreint 7.0.3"

I am a little lost... I have at least one iPad3 still on 5.1.1 set up exactly how I like it. Are you saying I could only restore the 5.1.1 to 6.1.3 with a 6.1.3 back up? Oh i think I get it, I can only restore to the latest version that was on each iPad. Oy. This is pretty bad.

Nov 5, 2013 9:22 AM in response to Rachel Corey

Oy, I accidentally hit "This solved my question", and I can't undo it - looks like it cannot be undone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3871963

I'd like to congratulate Apple for getting me to buy a PC. I can't fix my iPad without going off Apple, and I am not interested in screwing up my other Apple computers to fix the iPad, so I bought a cheap PC ($200) so I could do the work-arounds offered off Apple to fix my iPad ($1000).

Really, this is all very sad.

iPad IOS matching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.