Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages, Numbers, Keynote issue with WebDAV

I am in need of your assistance as the new version of Keynote appears to be causing issues, and I am not sure where to go or what to do to report this.

Here is the situation.

We have a Sharepoint server running WebDAV services. Our students use WebDAV capable applications on their iPads such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, WebDAV NAV +, etc. They create files using these apps on their iPads and then save them to their "WebDAV" folder on the SharePoint server. This is necessary so that students may access their files via the iPad in our LMS and turn in assignments via a digital dropbox. This has worked fine in the past until the update of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. In the past these apps on the iPad have always placed a single file on the server to which the students could go in and retrieve the file or send it to a digital dropbox in our LMS through a WebDAV connection between the LMS and the SharePoint server.

With the update of these apps on the iPad to the newest version, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote now place a folder on the SharePoint server of which it contains the following items: folder titled "Data", folder titled "Metadata", icon titled index.zip, icon titled preview-micro.jpg, icon titled preview-web.jpg, icon titled preview.jpg.

The issue is that now with this being a folder, students are no longer able to retrieve the file nor are they able to go into the LMS and send the file to a digital dropbox as it is now a folder and not a packaged file.

This is a serious setback to us as it renders Pages, Numbers, and Keynote useless since they can not use their iPads to retrieve or submit their assignments to a dropbox in an LMS or bring it back to the apps on the iPad.

As I said earlier, this worked perfectly fine prior to the new version of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

I believe this to be a Pages, Numbers, Keynote issue as when I send the file from Keynote to the WebDAV folder as a PPT, everything works fine. Kind of hard to get the staff to use Keynote when all they see is the "PowerPoint" verson works with no issues. Also, this would be a poor work around for something that use to work in the past.

Anyone else experience this or have suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

iPad, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 10:57 AM

7 replies

Nov 20, 2013 10:58 AM in response to dzauha

I have this same issue! Why are iWork documents when being saved in thier native format providing output as a folder with subfolders? I am not aware of how to open this after being saved. For example, I just used WebDav to save a file from within Numbers to my cloud storage provider and what I get once the file is saved is:

a folder called: Blank.numbers

inside that folder, three more folders called: Data; Metadata; Index.zip; and three files: Preview.jpg; preview-microjpg; preview-web.jpg.

If I save it in Excel format I get the expected file: blank.xlsx

Any thoughts?

Dec 21, 2013 7:05 PM in response to dzauha

We have requested support on this issue from Apple. We have received nothing. I have been an Apple supported for years. I am not sure who is piloting this portion of the ship, but he or she is way off course.

Due to the nature of this issue and the serious impact on the workflow of our students, we have decided to begin the process of evaluating the Surface tablet. I believe others will do this too once they see the lack of workflow in Apple's software products and it interactivity with other systems.

Good luck everyone.

May 9, 2014 4:28 PM in response to dzauha

Just spent a long time on the phone with Apple and got it figured out.

Duplicate your "blank.numbers" folder to be safe.

Open Numbers, create a new file, save it, and close it.

Find that new file in Finder, control click or right click and then hit "show package contents".

You should see the same type of folders, metadata, data, index.zip etc...

Delete all of those, and copy/paste the same folders from your old document into that file.

Reopen your new file in numbers and viola, it should be back to normal!!

Pages, Numbers, Keynote issue with WebDAV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.