Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot login to macbook pro

I recently ran into a problem... I cannot log into my MacBook Pro. I know my password, but it doesn't work. I enter it, press Enter, and then it looks like the machine is loggin me in - but them dumps me back at the login screen. I've reset the password. I've repaired the disc through RecoveryHD. All to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 10:53 AM

9 replies

Nov 6, 2013 1:53 PM in response to h8inmyMBP

Hi h8inmyMBP,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you can't log in to your user account, try logging in with your login items disabled:

OS X Mountain Lion: Open items automatically when you log in

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11177

Temporarily prevent items from opening automatically when you log in

• If you see the login window, press the Shift key while you click the Log In button, and then release the Shift key when you see the Dock.
  • If you don’t see the login window, start your computer, hold down the Shift key when you see the progress bar in the startup window, and then release the Shift key after your desktop appears.

If you're able to log in with this method, see the steps in the article above to "Permanently prevent an item from opening automatically when you log in."

If you're not able to log in with the above method, try booting into safe mode next:

Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Best,

Jeremy

Nov 7, 2013 4:43 AM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your response.

I couldn't try what you suggested because I already reinstalled the OS. There are so many hidden and unknown "tricks" with Mac OS like the ones you listed above - where do you find these?

I'm obviously a noob to Mac systems; I'm a longtime user of Windows operating systems (late 80's!) but thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and get a MacBook Pro about a year ago. I figured once I used the Mac OS for a while I would get used to it and end up loving it, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get accustomed to it yet in the least. I've given myself until the end of the year, and then my MBP gets donated if I still don't "get it." Is there one place or reference manual or something that anyone can suggest that includes all the tips and tricks, and might help me love my MBP and keep it?

Thanks again, Jeremy!

Kevin

Nov 8, 2013 3:01 PM in response to h8inmyMBP

Hi Kevin,

I'm happy to help!

If you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend bookmarking this page for reference:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

It has links to several articles that can help overcome some of the major differences that you encounter when switching from PC to Mac, as well as a page with many other useful keyboard shortcuts.

Best,

Jeremy

Jul 27, 2014 5:23 PM in response to h8inmyMBP

I experienced this problem and was able to resolve the issue by disconnecting my Thunderbolt display. Just adding my experience here so it may help someone else in the future.

Steps that caused the problem:

1. While booted into my second partition (DP4 Yosemite), I went to settings and selected a new startup disk (Mavericks)
  2. Clicked Restart
  3. After waiting 5+ minutes, I decided the restart process hung and held down the power button to turn off my MBP
  4. Pressed the power button to turn the laptop back on, at which point it booted into the correct partition (Mavericks)

At this point, when I attempted to log into my main account, it would act as if it were going to log in, but would kick me back out to the login screen. I was, however, able to log into the Guest account. Rebooting didn't resolve the issue.

Resolution:

1. Unplugged Thunderbolt display
  2. Logged in again, which worked.

cannot login to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.