Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not hearing clips while editing Audio Regions in Logic X

Dear Logic Experts!

I’ve just found a bug i believe in Logic X. I was editing a CD with Logic Pro 8 (v.8.0.2) until last night when i updated to Mavericks and now there are weird black columns on the arrange page appearing.

So i’m now continuing to edit with Logic X (i never got around to buying logic 9).

My problem:

When i cut a audio region i’m not hearing the cut’s even when i’m supposed to. I’m not sure how other people do this but when i cut takes from a recording session i look for where the wave forms go to 0 then i cut there. If it’s a clean cut then it makes no sound and if it’s ‘dirty’ then i hear a ‘clip. Right now i’m not hearing ANY clips even at places where i SHOULD hear a clip.

WHY is this that i am not hearing these clips at all? It makes editing a cd suddenly very very difficult 😟

many thanks for your time and for any tips you might be able to give me!! 🙂

Peter

Logic X 10.0.4

Mac OS X 10.9

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 11:05 AM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2013 1:39 AM in response to peterland1

Just a bit of an update on my problem:

I was expecting to hear a click by virtue of the fact that whenever i've editied audio regions in the past (Logic 8, 7, 6..as i mentioned i never bought logic 9) i've always heard a clip when i cut an audio region at a 'non-0-value'. I'm not sure if that's the proper term for when the wave form is not at a 0 value. But maybe you get what i mean? And this was how i always assured clean cuts when i'm working with audio regions from recording sessions. Perhaps Logic X has some kind of automatic 'take-out-all-unclean-cuts' fliter or something to this effect?

Also...i've taken the same project file and tried to do the same cut in Logic 8...and i DO hear cut's when i take the scizzors and cut at a non-0-value. This is the way i've always cut audio regions...does anyone else do this in another way?

i would continue to edit in Logic 8 but i've got this other problem with strange black colums appearing. (shows me for updating the OSX while working on a project!! ) and i figure after this project i will only use logic x so the logic 8 problem is then not so relevant...

So...i've got 2 screenshots from the Logic X project file.

thanks to anyone else also who might be able to suggest something!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1401/36ox.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/4741/o634.png

Nov 5, 2013 2:33 AM in response to peterland1

I assume with "clip" you actually mean "click". The fact that you always heard a click is, ironically, indicative of not making clean cuts. Clean cuts are made on zero crossings in a waveform

User uploaded file

when you cut at a zero crossing, there'll be no click. When you cut at any other piont but a zero crossing, you'll hear a click, both when doing it and when playing back the resulting audio clip (that's the correct use of the word clip: a short piece of audio (or video).

By default I believe that "snap to zero crossings" is enabled when cutting audio. Also, with stereo audio it is almost impossible to have any coinciding (left and right waveform) zero crossings, so with stereo audio you'll often get clicks, which can be dealt with comfortably by applying very short fade ins and - outs.

User uploaded file

Ultimately, making precise cuts in audio files is a matter of zooming in...

Very imprecise..

User uploaded file

Better...

User uploaded file

Nov 5, 2013 7:11 AM in response to Eriksimon

Eriksimon,

thanks very much for your kind and detailed message!! ‘click’ not ‘clip’. Thanks 🙂

Yes, we were on the same page with the zero crossing…i was probably just explaining things in a muddled way…sorry!

So…the snap edits to zero crossing. Thanks! hadn’t seen that yet. But….i don’t see it making any/much difference. Yes of course when i want to make a clean cut i cut at the zero crossing. My point previously was to see if my old way of making cuts was still valid by purposely cutting at a ‘dirty’ part to wait for the expected click. With LP8 i was always shooting for the zero crossings. It’s only now that i hear significantly less clicks that i’m dumfounded. With LPX I cut deliberately on a non zero-crossing and i almost never hear a click (i’ve now heard 2 or 3 after 50 mouse-clicks). It’s a bit strange.

this leads me to believe that when i see a cut that i’ve just made, the waveform is not being correctly displayed. Or, perhaps, there is an automatic fade in/out which is preventing this click.

and yes…the zooming in thing i had been doing..right until you can see the actual waveform. My posted pictures i guess would have been better positioned in a zoomed in picture…sorry! 🙂

well…i guess LPX is just dealing with audio cutting in a different way to LP8?

Eriksimon…thanks again for your pictures and the time it took to do them…if there is anything that i am still missing then please let me know…:)

cheers!!

peter

not hearing clips while editing Audio Regions in Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.