Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS receiver

Does the WiFi-only iPad mini w/ Retina display have a GPS receiver or not? My application is marine charting and I will be out of range of both WiFi and any cellular network. The application allows downloading of chart data ahead of time, so no problem doing that only once in a great while when WiFi is available. But, it would be a complete waste of money to pay more for a cellular-enabled device and/or data plan when that is of absolutely no use to me, and if turning on the GPS also turns on the cellular radio, that would be a waste of battery life, too. Pretty much every mobile phone, digital camera, and tablet device made now has a GPS receiver in it, so my assumption was that the newer iPad mini must also have one. But the information from Appple is sketchy; the chat personnel told me "the GPS in the cellular model is more accurate" but could ont define "more accurate" and could not give a straightforward yes/no answer to my initial question.

So, does the WiFi-only iPad mini w/ Retina display have a GPS receiver or not? Yes, and I buy the iPad mini; no, and I buy an Android device.

iPad, iPad mini w/Retina Dsiplay

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:12 PM

11 replies

Nov 7, 2013 5:00 AM in response to Ralph9430

GPS receiver on a chip costs about $2 now, not even any fraction for several hundred dollars difference for the cellular model. For only the difference in the price of the iPad models, some really nice Android models are available!

Nov 7, 2013 5:14 AM in response to Community User

whynotanother wrote:

GPS receiver on a chip costs about $2 now, not even any fraction for several hundred dollars difference for the cellular model. For only the difference in the price of the iPad models, some really nice Android models are available!

As it happens, Apple uses a combined cellular/GPS chip. As it's all one component, to get the GPS, you have to get the cellular. I suspect it's a space saving measure. In addition, although a data connection is not necessary for the GPS to function, most mapping and navigation apps download map data on the fly and do require such a connection.

You should get the device that best meets your needs.

Nov 7, 2013 5:34 AM in response to Community User

whynotanother wrote:

And yet one cannot buy a functional GPS standalone receiver for less than about $70-$90, so I'm a) not sure about that actual cost of producing a GPS receiver, and b) clearly there is more involved in a human useable GPS location device than merely receiving the satellite timing signals.

For what it is worth, for just about the difference in price (or even less) of a wifi-only iPad versus a wifi+cellular iPad, you can add a standalone BlueTooth GPS receiver to a wifi-only iPad (Bad Elf 2200 BT unit is about $140 on Amazon, and the Lightening connector unit is only about $100).

Dec 3, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Apfelwurm

So what bloody use is the wifi and cellular when your out to sea and out of sight land? I've seen sites using iPads for marine navigaiton. It would be easiy to install an GPS antenaa on my sailboat that could feed to both an iPad or an iMac. Also there are wifi range extenders but again once you are at sea that is of no use.

My purpose for the iPad is not only a navigation tool but to record a travelogue and photos to download once in range of a wifi.

Dec 3, 2013 11:32 AM in response to GenePark

There are apps like iHike that download maps to the device. You can then use these maps without any type of cellular or Wi-Fi connection. You just have to download the appropriate maps when you do have a connection.

Also a search on Google for iPad GPS receivers brings up several different kinds. Some connect to the iPad directly others use Bluetooth. Since I don't use any of these I cannot recommend any.

But I do use iHike on my iPad and iPhone and it's associated Mac app called MacGPS Pro. They work very well.

Mar 2, 2015 7:18 AM in response to GenePark

I have the same issue, using an iPad Air with WiFi and no cellular. From what I read, the only true solution is to purchase a GPS receiver that plugs into the iPad, that being the Bad Elf. You then load one of their recommended apps from Apple - in my case that would be Google Maps but they have some for marine, aircraft, travel, hiking, etc. The cost of the Bad Elf on amazon is about $99 with free shipping. Since I have an Otterbox case, I don't think the Bad Elf chip will connect to the iPad as the case is too thick to make proper contact. But they sell a small extender connector that will work, or you can purchase a 2' or 6' cable that will connect the two the iPad on one end and the Bad Elf chip on the other end; it has the Lightning 8 pin female on one end and male connector on the other end.

Mar 2, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Community User

A mini-education:

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Map software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc. Navigation software is "map software on steroids." It goes one step further in that it provides real-time directions to enable you to reach a desired destination.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once/year). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internet and requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

Mar 2, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Philly_Phan

The Bad Elf site has a list of recommended apps for use with the device, one of which is Google Maps. Since Google Maps provides voice turn by turn directions, do you not think the device would enable voice turn by turn directions? I'm really interested in buying the Bad Elf but would not do so if no verbal turn by turn directions are provided. I asked a user of the Bad Elf on this site the question as well as the manufacturer to hopefully provide clarification.

GPS receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.