Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webdings no longer available

I recently upgraded to the newest version of Keynote (6.0), and have found that Webdings no longer work. I use several symbols from this typeface, so it's a pretty big problem.

Webdings work in some other apps (like Photoshop), so I'm pretty sure it's just with Keynote.

Any ideas?

iMac, Macbook, PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:40 PM

I think this might get you what you want. In Keynote go to

Edit -> Special Characters..

in the window that pops up, select the icon to the right of Characters

User uploaded file

In that window, select the icon to the upper left and choose "Customize List..."

User uploaded file

Enable "Dingbats" from that list

User uploaded file

and when you go back to the main screen, you should see Dingbats as a choice. That's where you will find Web and Wingdings along with other fonts of that type.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Michael McWatters

I think this might get you what you want. In Keynote go to

Edit -> Special Characters..

in the window that pops up, select the icon to the right of Characters

User uploaded file

In that window, select the icon to the upper left and choose "Customize List..."

User uploaded file

Enable "Dingbats" from that list

User uploaded file

and when you go back to the main screen, you should see Dingbats as a choice. That's where you will find Web and Wingdings along with other fonts of that type.

Nov 5, 2013 10:48 AM in response to Michael McWatters

Michael McWatters wrote:

it doesn't make Webdings available / usable in the font menu, as it was in the previous version of Keynote.

When you can type webdings by just changing the font, there is a strong risk that others reading a digital copy of your document will not see these symbols but see Latin letters instead. Using the character palette ensures this will not happen, and that is the way programs are moving (sometimes slowly, however).

Jan 6, 2014 12:16 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Ok, thank you, I did not realize the customize list button would add additional options. FYI, after adding the symbol, it shows up on my doc as a copyright warning and am not able to use it after all:

"Private Use Areas

In Unicode, the Private Use Areas are three ranges of code points (U+E000–U+F8FF in the BMP, and planes 15 and 16) that, by definition, will not be assigned characters by the Unicode Consortium. The code points in these areas can not be considered as standardized characters in Unicode itself. They are intentionally left undefined so that third parties may define their own characters without conflicting with Unicode Consortium assignments. Under the Unicode Stability Policy, the Private Use Areas will remain allocated for that purpose in all future Unicode versions."

Jan 6, 2014 5:47 AM in response to mcgreer

mcgreer wrote:

FYI, after adding the symbol, it shows up on my doc as a copyright warning and am not able to use it after all:

"Private Use Areas

In Unicode, the Private Use Areas ...

If you interpret that text to be a "copywrite warning" that restricts your use of the font or the symbol, that is not correct. It has nothing at all to do with copywrite, but refers to technical encoding issues. Everybody can use these characters wherever and whenever they want.

Webdings no longer available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.