Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old ipod photo 60gb causes itunes to hang

it is recognised in itunes as it pops up with its name and rightclicking on the tray icon gives the option to eject it, however simply clicking on it causes the system to completely hang! The ipod says "do not disconnect" on it

Is there a way to format the ipod ie a hardware reset apart from the menu select to act as a factory restore? not sure if this will help but its all i can think of after spending a couple of hours trying to get it up and running.

I am keen to get itr running as it has alot of storage something my much newer ipod touch 8gb doesnt have.

Thanks

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:45 PM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2013 1:04 PM in response to rappinglove

You should rule out some possible causes first.

First, the USB connection. There may be a USB conflict, or lack of available power. As a test, shut down (power off) your computer and disconnect all USB devices including hub, except for standard keyboard and mouse, if nornally used. Do this to reset (restart) the iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1320

If your computer is a laptop, connect its power adapter (so that it's not running on battery power). Start it up, run iTunes, and connect the iPod (by itself) to a direct USB port on the computer. Any difference regarding this problem?

If that does not help, check the USB cable. If you have another one, see if changing the cable (preferably to a newer one) makes a difference.

If that does not help, try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363

If you run iTunes with the iPod connected in Disk Mode, it may prompt you to do a Restore (if there is data corruption on the iPod's storage).

old ipod photo 60gb causes itunes to hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.