Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with jpg export and color profiles

I browsed the forum but I didn't find any recent thread about the issue I'm experiencing right now, I wonder if it's common or it just affects me. Mavericks, Aperture 3.5, all up-to-date.

I imported a RAW file (I tried with both a Nikon and a Sony camera), made a few adjustements and then exported the picture as a jpg. It looked good in the Finder, in Photoshop, in Preview. When I uploaded the file to flickr, everything was ok.

Then, I browsed flickr via its iOS app and - surprise - the image is completely wrong: colors are washed out, desaturated, with an awful greenish dominance. I tried a few things and discovered soon that also opening the file on my Mac with GraphicConverter has the same ugly result. Same with the iOS version of Safari.

I use ProPhoto RGB as my default color space in Aperture. I changed to sRGB: same result. I changed to AbobeRGB and te output is finally consistent through all the platforms and apps.

Too bad I managed to do this only for one photo because, even if I changed the settings, every other photo I exported is still sticking with ProPhoto RGB. The problem is surely here because I solved it changing manually the color space to AdobeRGB with Pixelmator and re-saving the images one by one. But of course this cannot be a successful workflow...

Any experience about this?

Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Intel 27" mid-2011

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 1:32 PM

OK, I can reply to myself. The issue has mysteriously gone away - no idea why. Edit: The issue is gone on Desktop, with GraphicConverter. From iOS, pictures still look weird.

About the exported default, my bad: I was using presets and they choose their own settings for color space. Still, no idea why the first one was exported in Adobe RGB instead of ProPhoto RGB (the default for "JPEG - fit within 2048x2048").

😕

Message was edited by: difool

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 1:32 PM in response to difool

OK, I can reply to myself. The issue has mysteriously gone away - no idea why. Edit: The issue is gone on Desktop, with GraphicConverter. From iOS, pictures still look weird.

About the exported default, my bad: I was using presets and they choose their own settings for color space. Still, no idea why the first one was exported in Adobe RGB instead of ProPhoto RGB (the default for "JPEG - fit within 2048x2048").

😕

Message was edited by: difool

Problems with jpg export and color profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.