Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activate new Verizon factory iphone 5c or not (overseas use)?

I just purchased a new iphone 5c from Verizon in the US, but I am currently living in the UK and have the intent to use it here with a local carrier. I was wondering if there is any reason to "activate" the phone in the US, since I will only be using it abroad. I know that the Verizon iphone 5c comes unlocked- will activating it in the US affect my ability to use a different SIM/carrier in the UK?

Thanks for any help!

iPhone 5c

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:46 PM

5 replies

Nov 4, 2013 1:49 PM in response to nicolasfromca

Then why in the world did you purchase a U.S. iPhone on a CDMA carrier?

I strongly recommend you return the phone while you can. Get your money back, then purchase a phone in the country where you intend to use it.

There is no gaurantee that it will work on an LTE network outside of The US, even if the carrier uses bands that are supported on the phone. In addition, you will not be able to get it serviced either in or out of warranty without physically bringing it back to the US.

Nov 4, 2013 2:09 PM in response to nicolasfromca

Then I don't understand the question. You seem to be fully aware that the SIM slot is unlocked. You are currently under contract with, and paying for service from Verizon. Why would you not go ahead and activate the phone? Then, when you get to your destination, buy a Nano-SIM from a carrier where you'll be, replace the Verizon SIM with it and go on your way.

When you come back to the US, put the Verizon SIM in the phone, and off you go.

Activate new Verizon factory iphone 5c or not (overseas use)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.