Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worth upgrading RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB?

i have a mid-2010 macbook pro that has bootcamp installed on it. Ive been playing a lot of games on my windows side and have noticed that most games can only run at the lowest settings and even then sometimes the framerate is very low after that. Im curious to see if doubling my RAM would help in any way with gaming on windows? im also curious if i need a specific brand or anything. i was looking at the ones below and just curious to see what the performace would be like after the upgrade and if the parts are compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313300

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-10600-204-Pin-Notebook-CT102464BF1339/dp/B005J 4C820/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383602100&sr=1-1&keywords=so-dimm+ddr3+8gb

all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:57 PM

10 replies

Nov 4, 2013 2:05 PM in response to xgamer1224

Your Windows system has full access to 4 GBs of RAM, so it's hardly a problem with not enough RAM. Windows is capable of being run on systems with as little as 2 GBs (Win7 or 8.) Games demand good graphics performance rather than a lot of RAM. Unless your games require more than what you have, it's not likely having more will make the game faster.

But, it never hurts to have too much RAM. 😀

Nov 4, 2013 2:06 PM in response to xgamer1224

It may not be regular RAM but Video RAM (VRAM). Entry-level MacBook Pros use integrated graphics on the main processor and shares main RAM for VRAM purposes. Many games will either not run at all on integrated graphics or will run poorly.

To see what graphics hardware you have, hold the OPTION key and select "System information" from tha Apple menu. In the left-hand pane click "Graphics/Displays." Copy/paste the resutls in teh main Sys Info window into a replyhee so we can see if your are fighting ahardware limitation.

With that we can better advise you on whether to get more RAM.

Worth upgrading RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.