Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reimport videos imovie 10

Currently there is no way to re-import video from a SD card/ camera. I imported my videos and I inadvertently trashed and deleted them because I couldn’t figure out how to create an event or project and move my videos into it. When I tried to re-import the videos back into iMovie 10 they no longer show up in the list of videos for importing. They would show up for a second and then disappear. The new version of iMovie 10 for Maverick is very limiting compared to the old version iMovie 11 from iLife11’. There are no longer any advanced options or preferences, when importing videos the program used to break down imports by day and the timeline for the new version is too long - the old version you see the whole timeline wrapped into one window. When importing multiple videos from different times or days they are all lumped together into one event. This is a huge disservice your clients!!! If there is a way to do this I couldnt find it.

I have a question to Apple: Do you even have beta testers testing your products before they go to the public? It seems like your motto is to tell users how YOU think we should use the products you are producing. I am sorry if this is harsh, but I getting more frustrated every time I try something new from apple. On top of that I had to uninstall iMovie 10 and reinstall iMovie 11 and it worked just fine. I won’t be upgrading to version 10 anytime soon until you bring back some of the old features.

thanks,

iMovie (iOS), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 6:22 AM

Same as yourself I have published on YouTube 100+ movies of our sons city as well as high-school football and soccer games using the previous versions of iMovie prior to iMovie 10 and this single problem with clips importation nearly had me ditch iMovie altogether after all these years of productive use 😠 Because I had just finished doing the editing and it refused to create the final MP4 file because of media files still on camera and had failed to import and because so many small clips (nature of sports) easily missed so doubly frustrating 😠😠 and most of all did not want to restart the editing process again...

The workaround for me when running into trouble with clips still stucj on camera that refuse to import has been:

1. Create a new iMovie Library

2. Proceed to import the clips that refused to download first time around into this new library.. no need to move the originally imported clips (they stay in the original iMovie library)

3. Copy the existing movie project into this new library... No need to change anything in the movie project

4. Share file again to generate the MP4 from this new copy of the movie project

When iMovie 10 is open, all the the iMovie libraries you create are visible on the left and appear to be able to share clips between each other with the project in one library maintaining the links to the clips in the other libraries. By creating a new iMovie library it seems to reset the flag of the clip importation to allow importation to proceed and still maintain all the editing you did originally in the other library. It will not look for the same clip in the new library which is why you need to copy the entire movie project as it looks first for the clips locally in the newly created library.

Hope this work for you !

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2014 6:22 AM in response to myeganeh

Same as yourself I have published on YouTube 100+ movies of our sons city as well as high-school football and soccer games using the previous versions of iMovie prior to iMovie 10 and this single problem with clips importation nearly had me ditch iMovie altogether after all these years of productive use 😠 Because I had just finished doing the editing and it refused to create the final MP4 file because of media files still on camera and had failed to import and because so many small clips (nature of sports) easily missed so doubly frustrating 😠😠 and most of all did not want to restart the editing process again...

The workaround for me when running into trouble with clips still stucj on camera that refuse to import has been:

1. Create a new iMovie Library

2. Proceed to import the clips that refused to download first time around into this new library.. no need to move the originally imported clips (they stay in the original iMovie library)

3. Copy the existing movie project into this new library... No need to change anything in the movie project

4. Share file again to generate the MP4 from this new copy of the movie project

When iMovie 10 is open, all the the iMovie libraries you create are visible on the left and appear to be able to share clips between each other with the project in one library maintaining the links to the clips in the other libraries. By creating a new iMovie library it seems to reset the flag of the clip importation to allow importation to proceed and still maintain all the editing you did originally in the other library. It will not look for the same clip in the new library which is why you need to copy the entire movie project as it looks first for the clips locally in the newly created library.

Hope this work for you !

Nov 4, 2013 3:58 PM in response to neojim913

It's frustarting when we cannot find tools that we are using daily, I agree... 😟

In any case, I did find some answers on the iMovie for OS X Mavericks forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/ilife/imovie?view=discussions

You posted on the iMovie for iOS, which is the one that runs on iPad/iPhone.

Just that you know, the desktop/laptop version of iMovie in iLife '11 is iMovie '09.

Good luck! 😎

Nov 10, 2013 8:27 AM in response to sserchh

Yes so iMovie 10 is a bit of a learning curve - you will have to 'break your head' 😕 quite a bit. That part I don't mind so much, but when you waste a ton of time, and you've ultimately hit a bug, then it's very frustrating... Once I finally found this 'hide imported clips' option, I was very relieved. The old 9.0.9 version had a check box to keep/delete on camera, and I first thought my clips were gone from the camera. this checkbox seems to be gone in 10 which is good. I don't ever want to accidentally delete my original media.
So anyway, I have a similar but even stranger issue to this thread - on Mavericks iMovie 10. I imported 128 clips for a movie and got an odd error on one of the clips during import. In the event area (after importing clips), there is a camera icon on the clip that gave me the error. It looks like this:

User uploaded file

So when I select this clip and go to the File menu, there is no such option as 'Reimport...' I checked both the File menu when in context of the project as well as when in the Import media screen (with 'hide imported clips unchecked'). When I try to import again, it does nothing as I guess it thinks it's already imported, but where is the 'Reimport' function? I've searched everywhere - Fail?

I've done a lot of movies over the past 3-4 years as I am a videographer for my son's youth football league. I import hundreds of clips each week, and generate 2-4 GB HD720 videos of each game. In the older versions of iMovie since I got my first MacBookPro in 2007, I have never had a single issue importing clips (from the same HD Sony camera), nor have I had any issues generating the videos which take over an hour on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Coaches and kids do depend on these films, and when I upgraded to iMovie 10, I couldn't do what I had flawlessly been able to do in the past. Everyone is asking where this week's movie is, and all I can say is 'Don't upgrade to iMovie 10 whatever you do'. Sadly, I have had to downgrade to the 9.0.9 version, but all the clips imported as they always do and, I was able to edit and generate with no problems. I would like to have the newer cleaner interface, but it runs so slow and glitchy, and when I did try to generate, the times estimated were 3-5x what the old version took, but it never finished (always crashed with the quit unexpectedly error). What a bummer, I guess I am spoiled because I don't expect Apple products to crash, but this one is clearly not baked. What happed to the QA process here?

Nov 25, 2013 3:46 PM in response to sserchh

Thanks much!!! I know a lot about photo editing but am new to video processing. I am trying out iMovie 10 to see if it could do what I needed before considering FCP or Adobe products. I liked the idea of the integration with the other Apple devices, but so far iMovie has been one of the least intuitive products I have seen. At least certainly the setup of a library on an external drive, and sorting out how to archive original clips has been a pain, and when doing reimports I ran into this issue...I was beating my head against a wall for a couple hours over this - so thanks again! One issue

down anway!!

Nov 26, 2013 10:22 AM in response to neojim913

7string48 definately final cut pro x is a great improvement over Imovie, same templates and many more but you can modify almost everything.

It does have it anoyances but its a much better consumer editing option, Ive used sony vegas (the most intuitive of all) adobe premier (didnt like it), final cut pro 7 (very old version and not optimized for new multiple core processors)

so definately FCPX is the best option for deliverying a fully finished edited product.

sorry for my english its not my 1st language

S

Feb 24, 2014 10:47 AM in response to Ron Crowe

i cannot reimport... HELP PLEASE...

due to a problem i need to disconnect my carmera in transfer in imovie...

when i try to transfer again he said the movie is already there but is not???

i start to make my movie but when i try to share the movie is only on camera and cannot be share..

i retry to make a new librarie and import again but i dosen't work...

thanks to help me because i don't want to restart my project...

how to reimport videos imovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.