Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie projects on external hard drive not visible

Thanks for the help. I recently received a free upgrade to iMovie 10 (I think that's what it's called) and now I can no longer view any of my existing projects or events that I had saved on an external hard drive that's connected via Thunderbolt. Is there anything that you can advise me to do before I condemn the new iMovie any more than I already have!??? Thanks again!

Chris

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 2:55 PM

19 replies

Nov 4, 2013 7:15 PM in response to clemson_baseball

I wish I could help. I found the same thing when I "upgraded" to the new version. When I launched iMovie 10, I allowed it to update my movie library and in the process it seems to have copied everything to my Mac's hard drive. I had all my events stored on an external drive and I don't want those files on my internal drive.

Here's the best part: In case you have't figured it out yet, iMovie 10 will reset ALL of your iMovie '11 preferences, so when you decide to go back to using the old version (as I have) you'll have to go through every page of prefs and "fix" them.

I may eventually try using the new version, but only after they've replaced most or all of the functionality of iMovie '11. This is almost exactly how things played out when Apple replaced iMovie HD back in 2009. It's like they have no beta testers at all.

Nov 29, 2015 7:47 AM in response to GeeD

I agree, iMovie "should" update from all drives, but what can be done if it doesn't? When I go to File > Update Projects and Events, I get an error message: iMovie could not find any projects or events to update."

When I go to File > Open Library and select the library on the external drive, I get an error message: "_sync_" couldn't be removed

If I drag the iMovie library from the external drive finder window and drop it on the iMovie icon in the dock, I get an error message: The document iMovie Library 1.imovielibrary could not be opened.

Tom

Nov 29, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Tom Lesser

'_sync_' is a file in the library which it wants to delete but can't. I suspect that iMovie may not have write permission to your external drive.

To check these right-click > Get Info on the drive icon in the Finder. Format is shown under 'General'. It should be 'Mac OS Extended'

If Ignore ownership is not ticked what Privilege is set for your username?

Geoff.

Example:

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2015 4:59 PM in response to GeeD

The items in the Info pane for my external drive are just as you have illustrated above. FWIW, it's a 2TB drive with about 270GB of space available.

I discovered today that I can't run Disk Utility on the drive, nor can I do something as simple as create a new folder.

When I hit First Aid I get an error message that says "First Aid has failed ......" and it shows this when I expand the Details: Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. Unable to unmount volume for repair. Operation failed ....."

When I try to create a new folder or drag a folder from the desktop to the drive, the error message says: The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -50).

I can, however, drag a folder from the external drive to the desktop, and it's contents appear to be intact.

I'm leaning toward buying a new drive, formatting it, and copying all of the "problem" drive's content to the new one. I thought this was an issue with iMovie 10.1 and El Capitan, but now I'm not so sure that's correct.

Tom

Nov 30, 2015 3:34 AM in response to Tom Lesser

Evidently your drive is corrupted. It may be the drive hardware is failing or it may simply be software corruption. How old is it? iMovie is most likely OK.

I guess your first priority is to make sure you have a backup of everything important on the drive since it looks as if you will have to reformat it which will destroy all contents. Buying a new drive and backing up to that is a good idea. If you old drive is OK after reformatting it you could use it a backup volume.

Geoff

Nov 30, 2015 9:08 AM in response to GeeD

Well, I've had it for about 18 months. It's a Hitachi marked with what I assume is the manufacture date of Dec 2010, so it must have sat around in a warehouse for quite a while. I don't think it's a refurb; I'm sure I bought it new and unused. I've never abused it, but who know what might have happened between manufacture and my purchase??

Dec 2, 2015 9:25 AM in response to GeeD

Well, FWIW, I bought a new HGST 4TB drive and (after some initial trouble formatting it) have USB-connected it to the OS X 10.11.1 iMac via a NewerTech Voyager Q dock. I will copy the contents of the old drive (with the iMovie library, events, etc.) to the new 4TB and see whether or not iMovie will find the library file and allow me to do the update. Will report the results.

iMovie projects on external hard drive not visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.