Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -50 + HDD issues [Solved]

Hello!

I want to share some issues that I've had with my Macbook pro, which I've now solved, and I hope it can help others experiencing the same issue. Alright, first an overview of my problem (you can read the summary at the end of the text to skip the details):

Problem History:

I have a Macbook pro medio 2009 15", 2,53 gb HDD. My Macbook worked just fine until about 4 months ago. While working on my mac, suddenly I could'nt delete or download any files and an "error: -50" showed up. Then, I rebooted my mac and several things happened. In the first 5 or so reboots I could log into my account but the -50 error was still there - meaning I couldn't use "finder" properly and basically no applications. Then, after a while, my mac couldn't start up - it showed only a white screen loading and never moved on. So, I put the mac into recovery mode, which worked after several times and diagnosed my harddisk drive and the diagnosis showed a normal functioning harddisk. I wasn't able to run a hardware test for unclear reasons. After several tries, I installed Mountain Lion OSX (had Lion before) through the harddisk recovery mode and my mac worked fine - until 9-10 hours later where the same issues mentioned above arose anew. Now, I did not have any access to my mac at all - besides the harddisk repair mode (Don't remember the exact name of it), which was usel

Now here's what I did:

1: I bought a new Harddisk drive and replaced it - that didn't work out!

2: I bought an external harddisk drive connector. Meaning, my internal harddisk worked as an external harddrive and I ran my OS through USB. I booted my mac holding "option" until it showed the harddrive. And it worked! - Although my mac became slower.

3: Even though my mac worked fine now - it was annoying having to carry an external drive all the time and holding the option button every time etc. etc. So, I figured that the problem is either with the logic board or the harddisk connecting cable. The logic board is the last thing one must rule out - because if it is faulty - you're kind of screwed. So, I went ahead and ordered a connecting cable (approximately 60$). The cable was faulty and didn't work! I returned it and got a new one instead (same company and same quality) - and now my mac is working again!!! 😀

Summary:

1. Had error -50 and harddrive issues; couldn't delete, download or even use any apps or files.

2. Mac wouldn't start up.

3. Tried disk repair + fresh OSX install. Did'nt work

4. Replaced harddisk - didn't work.

5. Replaced Harddisk connecting cable: PROBLEM SOLVED!

A piece of advice:

If you have any problems, then try to test one thing at a time. Run a hardware test from apple or other sources. Have an expert checking your mac - it might cost a little but it's worth it if you find out what the problem is. Buy quality parts for your mac if you have the money (I bought a cheap connecting cable :/ ).

And lastly: I hope this was helpful to other mac users!

Have a great day/evening/night!

- MS

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 3:14 PM

There are no replies.

Error -50 + HDD issues [Solved]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.