Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB FAT12/16/32 USB devices

my new car sez it will recognize USB FAT 12/16/32 file formats. I've downloaded 5 test songs from my iTunes files into a desktop folder and then in turn dragged the file folder into the open USB.

when I insert the USB into the car USB port it sez "no supported files". am I incorrectly loading songs into the USB flash drive ? I previously also tried directly dragging a group of songs from my iTunes into the USB flash drive. again, the same message "no supported files".

any suggestions / solutions appreciated. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer for a UVO (Kia) system training session.

thanx,

bill

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 4:40 PM

Did you convert the files to the FAT 12/16/32 file format? I have no clue what type of files these are. Call the dealership to find out if you do not feel like doing a Google search. It will save you a trip to the dealership.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Nov 5, 2013 6:04 AM in response to valkfire

FAT 12/16/32 isn't a file format, it's a drive format. By default, all flash drives are sold already formatted as FAT 16 or 32. So unless you've reformatted the drive with Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended, it's ready to use as is.

What "no supported files" would mean is the audio system doesn't recognize the type of audio files you put on the flash drive. You need to find out what it requires and save the songs in that format. The most common would be .mp3 or .wav .'

If you already have them in a supported format, it may be that the files have no extension, so all the audio system sees is an unrecognized file type, such as:

MoonRiver

instead of:

MoonRiver.wav

Nov 5, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

FAT 12/16/32 isn't a file format, it's a drive format. By default, all flash drives are sold already formatted as FAT 16 or 32. So unless you've reformatted the drive with Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended, it's ready to use as is.

What "no supported files" would mean is the audio system doesn't recognize the type of audio files you put on the flash drive. You need to find out what it requires and save the songs in that format. The most common would be .mp3 or .wav .'

If you already have them in a supported format, it may be that the files have no extension, so all the audio system sees is an unrecognized file type, such as:

MoonRiver

instead of:

MoonRiver.wav

Thank you very much for the clarification. Much appreciated.

User uploaded file

USB FAT12/16/32 USB devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.