That's strange, so you're saying that only the top bar, the place where enter a url to open is displayed? Does it happen every time?
Does your wife have any extensions installed in Safari? If so as a first step they should all be disabled.
Then you could try moving the users safari preference file out of there library/
In ML the users library folder is hidden. If you know how to open the users library and get the Safari preference file fine, if not follow these direction
- Triple click the following line to select it all
- Once selected right click (control click) it to bring up the contexual menu.
- Select Services->Open from the menu, a Finder window opened to that folder will appear
- Find the com.apple.Safari.plist file and drag it to the Desktop
- Now log the user out and then log back in.
- Try Safari. Post back if you still have troubles.