Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it no longer possible to make background objects selectable?

So far I've been pretty freakin' disappointed with the iWork "upgrades." Where did the "make background objects selectable" go? I've an important file of many pages which formerly had an index which was on a colored text box. When I open the file in Pages 5, the image is there, the Index is there, but I can do nothing with it. I can type over the top of it, but I can't select it. All the other images and text boxes are selectable. Only this one, the most important one, naturally, can I not select. Looks like I'm gonna have to redo the document, make new bookmarks and links. Unless someone knows something I can't figure out... wouldn't be the first time...

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 5:42 PM

12 replies

Nov 18, 2013 11:07 PM in response to Mr. Bacon

Looks like you are not alone in this. I have had the same frustrations trying to update the layout of our newsletter. The only way around this for me was to group everything in front of the object I wanted to get hold of and then send that group "to back". Then I have access to the object I need to modify. Once done, send that object to the back which in turn puts the group at the front. Ungroup and things are back to normal.

But what a pain and waste of time!!

As far as I am aware, if you try to modify files by using the earlier version of Pages a) the software may reject any files you already opened in Pages 5 and b) files created in an earlier version of Pages won't work on your iPad unless they convert to the latest version, which in turn means you won't be able to use them in the older version on your mac. Oh joy!!

Nov 20, 2013 2:52 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

It much more than disappointing not being able to select background objects.....

I have to say it ****** me off when you get use to a great program and some super geek stuffs it up by playing with it... What wise arse thought it needed changing, who are you trying to impress?

TAKE NOTE: Apple Super Geek **** off and go play with yourself and leave a good thing along other wise your no different then Microsoft...

PS tried the whole master thing, didn't work.................................

I guess I will have to find a thrid party company to help as Apple support never gets back to any of these discssions either....

Dec 1, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

Hi, Mr. Bacon! I had a Pages file, with tables and images. I could not modify them. ARGH! But there is a 5-10sec solution.

Here it goes.

Select the entire document (Cmd+A)

Copy it to the clipboard (Cmd+C)

Open a new, blank document (Cmd+N)

Paste in what you have copied (Cmd+V)

SMILE! :-)

You MAY have to click on Arrange > Section Masters > Make Master Objects Selectable, but I did not have to do that.

Let me know, if it helped.

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2013 11:07 AM in response to Georgio1

Smile indeed! Thank you. I'm sincerely hoping Apple will clear up these absurdities. There are aspects of the "upgrade" that I do like, but the dumbing down of the programming is actually presenting us with a new challenge which is how to get outside of the box, in order to make the programs operate as effectively as they did prior to the "upgrade."

Is it no longer possible to make background objects selectable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.