Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD Themes

I have a 2009 iMac with iDVD, and in order to load the software onto my 2012 MBP, I copied the software and the Installed Themes onto my MBP, then placed them in the correct locations (Applications for iDVD and Library->Application Support for the themes. So far, so good. I open iDVD, but when I try to start a new project it looks for the themes. I have it go to the Installed Themes in Library, but when it asks to open them, there's nothing in the folders (named Disk 1 through Disk 6). I have repeated the process 3 times to no avail, after which I repaird the disk permissions. Does anyone have any ideas why it isn't seeing the themes?

Thanks,

George

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 6:54 PM

36 replies

Nov 5, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Old Toad

I can't even get to the screen you referenced in your reply. Now, when I try to open iDVD I get a message that asks me to go online to get updated themes. I follow the update link and find that there are no updates to iDVD. I cannot load it from my disk that has it since it's for an iMac. Any other ideas, short of buying a disk?

Thanks,

George

Nov 5, 2013 4:08 PM in response to GeorgeHB

I can't even get to the screen you referenced in your reply. Now, when I try to open iDVD I get a message that asks me to go online to get updated themes.

Try this basic troubleshooting fix:

1 - delete the IDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete IDVD'S cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD folder.

User uploaded file

3 - launch IDVD and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

Are the themes actually in the iDVD/Themes folder?

You might try placing the iDVD folder with the Themes folder inside in the Home/Library/Application Support folder, go to the iDVD Advnace preference pane and point to them there.

Jun 12, 2014 7:58 PM in response to GeorgeHB

Anyone ever find a solution to this. I am experiencing it myself. just bought a MBP with Mavericks and I tried to copy iDVD from my iMac. I copied the application into the applications folder, I selected View Options in my Home Folder and activated my Library. I went to Library and deleted the IDVD CACHE folder and the IDVD Preferences folder. I then went to Library and in APPLLICATION SUPPORT and created a folder called IDVD. In that folder I placed the folder from the iMac called Installed Themes that I got from the iMac's Applications Support>IDVD folder. I then checked all the contents of the folders and I can see all the themes listed in folders called IDVD 1, IDVD 2, IDVD 3, IDVD 4, IDVD 5 and IDVD 6. I then open IDVD and get the following screen

User uploaded file

I go through and point to the Home>Library>Application Support>IDVD>Installed Themes folder. The popup comes back and it will NOT point to the folder. Then, I go back into the folders and check their contents and they are empty. IDVD is ERASING the contents of the folders.

I tried doing the fix that was previously mentioned by going to Preferences and selecting the folder location under advanced, However, Because IDVD will NOT open a new project, because it can not locate the themes, It will not allow me to access preferences.

User uploaded file

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have done this before with Snow Leopard, and my boss did it with his 13" MBP with Mavericks and it worked those times. On my NEW 15" MBP with Mavericks, it does not.

Mar 11, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Old Toad

Please check above s I don't recall everything. I believe it said that it could not find any themes and would not open a new project. I had basically given up but tried one last time and got it to work. I found the iDVD folder in Applications on my previous computer and copied it all to the new one. Also, I knew that there was a library folder that contained the themes so I copied that. My problem was that I kept trying to paste that into its location on the new Mac and it would keep erasing the contents and not open them. I think there was somewhere in the preferences that would direct iDVD to the folder and I set that. It didn't work.

What I did was, i went into my local user folder and opened the folder called library. There was a folder called Application Support. All, or most, of your applications will have a file in here that contains resources for the operation of the program. In there, there should be a folder for iDVD. Open that and put your themes folder in there. I have 2 folders in there now. "Installed Themes". and "Themes". I assume I only need one of those but which, i dont know. I do know that the folder has to be named correctly or iDVD won't find it. So, I will just leave it be. It's working now. Inside those folders there should be a series of folders called iDVD 1 through 7, in my case. I was able to find the folder right off today but I don't recall if it was a hidden file before. You may need to go through a procedure to "Show Hidden Files". I am pretty sure there is an easy way to just click on something without having to type in code at a command prompt. I have had to do that for things a couple times and can never remember how to do it. If you do not find iDVD In your Application Support File, or can't find the Application Support Folder, look into The "Show All Files". Or "Find Hidden Files" procedure.

Mar 11, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Old Toad

When I try to start a new iDVD file, it says no themes are found and to look. I direct them to my folder with the themes that are installed on my computer which are in an iDVD folder on my desktop for now and it just keeps going back to No Themes Found, look or quit. If I move the themes into Application Support/iDVD.. when I look for them, they get erased. I've ran a disk repair and nothing happens. Please help!

Mar 11, 2015 8:28 PM in response to hmazzuto

don't know what to say. All I know is after multiple attempts it finally worked. Put the iDVD Application folder into applications then take the themes folder and put it in your library folder under applications support and iDVD. First, as Old Toad suggested to me earlier, copy the themes folder to your desktop. Open all the folders and make sure they are full. As I said the themes folder will have sub folders named iDVD1 through iDVD7. Open each of those folders and make sure that they contain the themes. Now, COPY the Themes folder CMND+ C and find the application support iDVD folder and PASTE CMND +V that in the folder. Make sure again that the themes are in it.

One last point. Go into Finder and select this through your HOME folder. That is the one that shows your computers name. DON'T put it in your Haerd Drive folder. There is also a Library on the hard drive folder.

iDVD Themes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.