Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mbp will not boot or go into safe or recovery mode

I believe it's a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" running Mountain Lion 10.8.something. Maybe 10.8.4 or 5? It also has windows 8 on it.

Writing this on my tablet as my laptop won't load. The screen suddenly went nuts then the screen went black so I held the power button down for 15 secs to shut it down. I have to hold option down to get to boot menu since it has windows 8 on it and will automatically boot into windows first if unprompted. Windows 8 will not load at all, the screen goes black almost immediately. If I try to boot OSX the grey screen with the apple sign begins to load but then goes grey, blue, or just continues to stay in the loading screen. If I try to boot off the recovery hd 10.8.2 the screen goes blue and there are vertical lines of pink on it. I've also tried booting in safe mode or disk utility after choosing to boot from osx but it doesn't work. Not sure if I'm doing it right since it's from the boot menu. I'm at a complete loss.

I don't have any discs or usbs to boot off of because my Mac didn't come with one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I don't know if this is relevant information but I tried to download maverick the other day but paused the download. Not sure if it finished downloading or if I even tried to install. Honestly, I was flying on autopilot and didn't even look at what it was. Had no idea it was an os upgrade. Yes, I am that clueless.... Not sure if this is related/caused my current woes.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 8:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2013 2:10 AM in response to Koalatea

Exact same machine, exact same problem!

I use mine for DJing - and as you can imagine this isn't the time of year for this to happen - pick up a new pro on Tuesday.

However if there's a fix, it'd be nice to have a back up machine ( I never thought I'd need one to be honest)

I've looked on the net and most people are saying GPU issues.

Gonna strip it down and take the logic board out. Might look at reflowing it ( got nothing to lose) or see if I can track down a logic board (although buying a new MBP was probably a cheaper option!)

Cheers

Jeff

Mbp will not boot or go into safe or recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.