Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse and Microsoft WORD issue, 10.8.5

Got a new iMac (late 2013) with OSX 10.8.5 and magic mouse. Everything is OK besides one very annoying issue. Magic mouse does not select text in Microsoft WORD only. On the third attmpt it will eventually select the text . It does select a single word by double clicking but not by swiping. Wired mouse works well. Any solution? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Problem with Microsoft WORD

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 12:03 AM

6 replies

Apr 23, 2014 11:12 AM in response to lvrub

I observed the same behavior with my Magic Mouse and Word and was ready to pull my hair out with frustration because I couldn't select text, and the SHIFT+CLICK workaround was very cumbersome for me.

However, I also hated the "double tap with two fingers" gesture to launch Mission Control, so I turned it off (Settings > Mouse > More Gestures > Mission Control). That appears to have fixed the problem with selecting text in Word, amazingly. When I want Mission Control, I just hit the F3 key now.

Nov 21, 2014 11:06 PM in response to Dan Leifker

It looks like a problem with your mouse. If the central button contact is stuck, the selection in Microsoft Word and Excel doesn't work properly (although it works in other apps, including Powerpoint).

Check that all mouse buttons are working properly. Il you use a wireless mouse with a USB dongle, make sure to disconnect it or to switch off your mouse.

Magic mouse and Microsoft WORD issue, 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.