Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 3 when updating iphone 5 - firmware issue?

Hello everyone

I am updating my iphone and right at the last minute I am getting an error message pop up on my computer.

Error (3)

I have zero idea what it means, I can not access my phone or get into anything on my phone! I just have the connect to itunes logo on my phone.

I have the latest update of itunes

I have no other sofware on my computer that will conflct with the update

I was simply running the latest update!

The error says:

The Iphone 'iphone' could not be restored. an unknown error occured (3)

when I click more information apple do not even mention it anywhere.

can someone please help??

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 3:45 AM

12 replies

Jan 8, 2014 12:26 AM in response to Rink

yeh i have the same problem . the only solution to fix error 3 is to put your iphone in the freezer for 40 mins. and then restore via itune. it work for me but then i got stuck in the activate screem . the signal keep on searching and can't even dial 112 to bypass it . Anyone help plz. Apple store cant help me because my phone out of protection.

Apr 30, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Rink

hi

my phone can't detected sim that I've installed so I tried to put on recovery mode but then when it comes to "restoring iphone firmware" it got stuck for like 15minutes then "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3)." I've tried it with different laptop/pc also different usb cable but its still on the same result. My os and itunes is up to date, so basically it supposed to go perfectly fine.

please help!!!

Error 3 when updating iphone 5 - firmware issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.