Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug warning - Mac Mail Undo Delete loses email

Hi.

We've just discovered a bug in Mavericks mail when using Gmail/Google Apps.

Using a gmail account, if an email is deleted from the inbox, it goes to the trash/bin, but then if you try to use cmd-z to undo this move, the email will completely dissapear, even when searching for it using the gmail browser interface and mac mail search.

We've reported it as a bug, but just a warning to anyone who is losing emails without explanation.

Cheers.

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 3:55 AM

32 replies

Feb 27, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Matt Cooper3

Ya, this has been happening to me for a long long time. I try to avoid it as I wait for a fix, but I just did it again and lost an important email, for ever, or course. This is a pretty destructive bug, but then again, Apple doesn't seem all too concerned with bugs in their software anymore.

Somebody at Apple - please just try this out (with any gmail account):

1. select your most important email
  2. hit your 'delete' key
  3. immediately try to undo it with 'command+z'
  4. weep, because there's no getting it back

Feb 27, 2014 4:58 PM in response to tbirdvet

Yep – just tried that (with a worthless email of course) and it's gone for good. The key here is that the undo happens before Mail has finished its first round-trip to the IMAP server to trash/archive the email.

I'm not an IMAP expert, but I assume this bug is half an issue with Mail and half an issue with Gmail, in that Google treats trash/archive differently than an old-school email provider, and Apple is making assumptions that really can't be made.

This really needs to be fixed though...

Feb 27, 2014 5:01 PM in response to liveintensely

liveintensely wrote:

Somebody at Apple - please just try this out (with any gmail account):

1. select your most important email
  2. hit your 'delete' key
  3. immediately try to undo it with 'command+z'
  4. weep, because there's no getting it back

You will need to get in touch with Apple.

FEEDBACK http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

These are only user to user forums.

Cheers

Pete

Apr 3, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Fotmasta

Well, I've seen two outcomes from typing command-Z: usually it seems to work, and then a few seconds later the restored message disappears permanently. But sometimes, command-Z doesn't restore the message.

Could a timing issue be involved? I would imagine that not storing deleted messages on the server would resolve the problem, since given the multithreading involved via IMAP, could it be possible that the undo would execute before the delete and have unexpected results?

Apr 29, 2014 10:15 PM in response to Peter Goldman1

I have had this issue using IMAP mail + Mavericks Mail. Today after accidentally deleting an important email I did some Googling and discovered this is not Apple's fault. There is a IMAP term 'Expunging' which means delete and refers to how the server treats emails that the client has deleted. Search Google for "apple mail server expunging" to find some explanations. Our company has a mailserver called Kerio Connect and its default behaviour is to delete any emails from the server that the user deletes. So there is no possibility to Undelete in Apple mail as the email has gone from the server. I have changed the default on the server not to 'expunge' and now I can undelete.

This might be the same issue with Gmail. I don't know as I don't use it.

Bug warning - Mac Mail Undo Delete loses email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.