Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume down button not working…

Tell me why

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:15 AM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2013 12:35 PM in response to Sheikh waleed

Hey there Sheikh waleed,

It sounds like 1 button, the volume down button, does not function at all when pressed. I want to recommend a few things here. First reset the phone with this process:

If your device stops responding, you can reset it by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If the issue persists, I would then try backing up your phone to iTunes and creating a backup.

iOS: How to back up and restore your content

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Then restore your phone as new, and test the volume button to see if it works. If it does, I would hten restore from your backup and verify that it still works.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Oct 30, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Sheikh waleed

Try restarting your device. If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple store. If it is less than a year old and just stopped working, they will replace it for free (be sure to back it up to iTunes first). If you dropped it, you will have to pay because Apple will not replace a device due to "Human Error." If it is more than a year old, you will either have to pay to get it fixed, or have to pay to get it replaced.

Apr 27, 2016 9:27 AM in response to Sheikh waleed

This appears to be a hardware or design problem. My guess is that the case is slowly warping over time. It may have to do with heat generated inside the phone or maybe just mechanical forces. Here's a way to test this:

With the phone facing you, put the lower right corner on a hard surface (table), press down slightly on the lower left corner and the upper right corner. Lift slightly on the upper left corner of your phone. Now, try the down volume button as you apply gentle pressure on the corners to introduce a slight twist to your phone. It doesn't take that much pressure. Don't try anything that might damage your phone!

Some people say that this maneuver will fix their phone for a period of time. The down volume button works without this twist afterwards. This doesn't fix my phone, but the volume buttons work while I apply the gentle pressure.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.