Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung TV Mode not supported:

My Apple TV will not work with my Samsung TV, the box definitely isn’t faulty as it works on my television upstairs.

I keep getting the mode not supported message and when pressing the menu and play button the apple appears briefly then goes back to the error message, having looked on the online forums it looks as though I need to change the resolution, however I am not sure if the resolution needs changing on the TV (High, Low or Medium) or on the Apple TV box (There are a few options) or on both?

Please advise

Thanks

Hannah

Apple TV (3rd Generation)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2016 9:20 PM

I have the Apple TV 4th gen and the steps below worked for me. My Samsung tv wasn't working with my Apple TV after I pressed something on the remote and the steps seemed to fix the issue (pressing menu - volume up).

1. Change the Apple TV resolution:
    • Press and hold the Menu and Up button on your Apple Remote for six seconds.
    • The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals.
    • Press Play on the Apple Remote to keep the current resolution or Select to manually cycle to the next resolution.
  2. Reboot your Apple TV by holding down the Menu and Down button on the Apple Remote for six seconds. Allow the Apple TV a few minutes to restart.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2016 9:20 PM in response to HannahB1987

I have the Apple TV 4th gen and the steps below worked for me. My Samsung tv wasn't working with my Apple TV after I pressed something on the remote and the steps seemed to fix the issue (pressing menu - volume up).

1. Change the Apple TV resolution:
    • The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals.
    • Press Play on the Apple Remote to keep the current resolution or Select to manually cycle to the next resolution.
  2. Reboot your Apple TV by holding down the Menu and Down button on the Apple Remote for six seconds. Allow the Apple TV a few minutes to restart.

Nov 7, 2013 7:58 AM in response to HannahB1987

Howdy HannahB1987,

It sounds like when you connect this Apple TV to one of your televisions, you get this error message that the mode is not supported. I want to recommend the troubleshooting from this article named

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5148

Your TV picture is completely black or has other quality issues such as static or blurry video

1. Confirm the settings and configuration of your television.
    • Check to verify that your TV's video input matches the HDMI connection.
    • Refer to the manufacturer's user guide for assistance with changing your TV input or picture mode.
    • Verify that your television meets the Apple TV minimum resolution requirements.
  2. Verify that the Apple TV's power cable and the HDMI cables are securely connected.
    • When connecting to power, observe the front LED on your Apple TV for activity. If no light is visible, try a different power outlet or power strip.
    • Connect the Apple TV directly to your television, bypassing any home theater receivers, splitters, repeaters, or switches temporarily.
    • Inspect all cables for any kinks, tears, or other evidence of damage.
    • Verify that the HDMI cable being used with your Apple TV is a bidirectional cable. Although rare, single-direction HDMI cables do exist. If unsure, try flipping the connection between your Apple TV and television.
    • If all else fails, try a different HDMI cable.
  3. Change the Apple TV resolution:
  4. Reboot your Apple TV by holding down the Menu and Down button on the Apple Remote for six seconds. Allow the Apple TV a few minutes to restart.

Note: If the Apple TV video functions correctly after bypassing a receiver, switch, or repeater, please refer to the accessory manufacturer's user guide for additional support.

You may have to connect the Apple TV to the television that it works properly with to change some of the settings.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Samsung TV Mode not supported:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.