Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock keeps moving between monitors

I have connected on to my MacBook Pro Retina (Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1) two monitors. A Thunderbolt Display connected to the Thunderbolt port (next to power connector), a HP LCD Monitor w2408h connected to the Thunderbolt port (next to USB) with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter (using DVI/HDMI cable) .

Display Arrangement is MacBook Retina (left), Thunderbolt Display (middle), and HP LCD (right). The main menu bar is on the middle monitor, which puts the Dock in the middle.

My Dock keeps moving randomly to any of the 3 monitors. It supposed to be in the middle.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Model ID: MacBookPro10,1

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 10:39 AM

Hey guys,

So apparently, this is an actual feature and not a bug. Its been ******* me off as well as I use 3 monitors, but I read on a different forum how to actually make it appear on a different monitor and all you have to do is actually move your mouse to the center of the screen, and move it all the way down as if you're trying to drive into the bottom of the screen. you'll see it appears on any monitor you do this to (clearly being a feature). I think its stupid and would love to have the option to disable this without losing my separate spaces for each monitor, but I guess this is the Apple way. What can ya do?

Hope this helps.

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Felix Hernandez

Hey guys,

So apparently, this is an actual feature and not a bug. Its been ******* me off as well as I use 3 monitors, but I read on a different forum how to actually make it appear on a different monitor and all you have to do is actually move your mouse to the center of the screen, and move it all the way down as if you're trying to drive into the bottom of the screen. you'll see it appears on any monitor you do this to (clearly being a feature). I think its stupid and would love to have the option to disable this without losing my separate spaces for each monitor, but I guess this is the Apple way. What can ya do?

Hope this helps.

Nov 10, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Felix Hernandez

I have the same setup and the same problem. I agree that it is not related to focus and is almost certainly a bug - it happens randomly, and I can get the dock back to its original location by right-clicking the dock, and setting the position to another value and back again to the original value. (I.e. I don't really change anything, yet the dock jumps back to its original location).

Dec 30, 2013 4:59 AM in response to Felix Hernandez

It's a 100% bug! My dock suddenly appears on monitor #2 and to fix it I change the dock locatin to the left and then to the bottom. It's a BUG Apple.! Plus, I used to use VMWare to remote into my windows work machine and used 2 monitors for the real estate. Now that's gone. "A feature?" Some lame brain fool at Apple came up with that brainstorm. So now I login using windows 8.1 only to RDP into work and have use of my 2 monitors for some real work. BAD, BAD feature! Wise up Apple.

Nov 5, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Topher Kessler

The dock does not move to different monitors when I change focus. The menu bar is on all 3 monitors and the menu gets focus and changes to which ever app it has focus on, but the Dock always stays in the middle monitor. Every once in while the dock will move to a different monitor.

I checked Mission Control and Display have separate Spaces is checked.

I am leaving it checked, since I like the menu bar on all 3 monitors.

The dock should just stay in the middle monitor, so far for the past 2 and half hours the dock is in the middle monitor and I have switched focus to all 3 monitors. Currently I am on my MacBook Pro Retina Display (left monitor) and dock is still in the middle.

Nov 14, 2013 6:29 AM in response to BoaNeo

BoaNeo,

Thanks for the workaround to this bug. I Right-Click and reselected Bottom (already checked) in "Position on Screen" menu and it moved the dock from being on the bottom of the right monitor back to the bottom of the center monitor.

Apple needs to fix this bug with Maverick, never had this issue before with Lion and Mountain Lion.

Nov 30, 2013 6:48 PM in response to smithmr8

this is exactly it. the dock movement was always happening randomly, but being able to recreate it like this makes me thing its just a feature so people can quickly lunch dock apps from any monitor (the higher the res of the monitor and the more monitors you have the more work it would basically be to get to the dock).

Dock keeps moving between monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.