Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mavericks ad hoc/computer-to-computer broken

I posted on the first day mavericks was out and couldn't find anyone having the same problem - but now i have 3-4 friends with the same issue, and none of us can find an answer.

on mountain lion, we were able to create an adhoc/computer-to-computer network and chat through bonjour on Messages. We would do this WITHOUT WIFI (there is no wifi in the room we're in) and no ethernet connection, it was purely computer-to computer.

Once we upgraded to Mavericks, no longer can do so. it allows one of us to create a computer-to-computer network, and we all appear to be conneted to it fine, but when we try to log into messages and use bonjour it says there is a connection error.

We've checked all settings and they appear fine, and we've really scoured the internet looking for answers. Sorry for the re-post, but i'm hoping since it's been a few weeks now someone has figured something out.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 7:15 AM

3 replies

Nov 6, 2013 1:56 PM in response to robjlee

Hi,

The Computer to Computer network obviously does not go through a computer.

However it will still need to use either Ethernet or WiFi to connect to the other computer.

In System Preferences > Network > Advanced Button > TCP/IP tab you should get a Self Assigned IP address.

The computers that join the network should get an IP address in the same range.

My iMac as Network host

User uploaded file

I joined my MacBook Pro to this Network and it had an IP that ended .22

I then tested the Bonjour on both and found that the iMac would not open the Buddy list (and therefore never showed up on the iChat 5/Snow Leopard MacBook Pro).

This may be linked to the lack of DNS info.

See this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3789

At this point we leave what I know and am confident about.

User uploaded file
9:56 pm Wednesday; November 6, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Feb 11, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Apple seems to see this problem as a low priority, but it is very frustrating. One of the main reasons I bought a mac was because of the ad hoc network capability and it worked great until OSX Maverick. I called Apple tech support and they just told me to go buy a router, just as if I had a PC. I don't understand why this can't be fixed ASAP. This is the screenshot I read to tech support and they told me they couldn't help:

User uploaded file

mavericks ad hoc/computer-to-computer broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.