Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Denon 1912 with Airplay

I have a Denon AVR-1912 and I've just purchased an ATV3. I use airplay to stream music from my mobile devices and want to setup the multiple zone functionality on the Receiever to stream music to Zone 2 while the main zone (zone1) plays the audio/video from the TV. I understand there are some challenges around playing digital through Zone 2 (some legal stuff with Apple apparently) so my question is.......what do i need to get ATV and Airplay to play through the speakers assigned to zone 2.

Thanks

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 8:58 AM

10 replies

Nov 5, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Ploopie

There are several things to think about.

Firstly, some have noted that the TV needs to be on in order to get audio from the Apple TV. Others have noted that it doesn't and others that the TV needs to be on when audio is started but can be turned off after. It may be different combinations of hardware cause these differences, but trial and error will be needed here.

You'll need to check with your receivers manual to see if you can port a second feed to zone 2.

Should you be able to do this, you will also need to check what sort of signal it can accept, most receivers will only support analogue audio over additional zones, in which case a DAC would be required.

If all you want is audio, you might want to look at the Airport Express.

Nov 11, 2013 8:36 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have two cables coming out of my AV3 -- digital audio into my preamp/tuner and hdmi into my TV monitor (which has its own digital audio going into another port on my preamp/tuner.

I have my Harmony remote programmed to have two different ATV3 functions:

• Control Apple TV
  • play iTunes Music Only

The Control Apple TV function turns on the TV, the preamp/tuner set to digital audio 1 and uses hdmi port 1

The Play iTunes Music Only function turns on the preamp/tuner and uses digital audio 2 -- this allows any other device (e.g. my laptop) to control the music from any iTunes server. I can even use the Apple TV in parallel to play a slideshow of flickr images while the music is streaming.

Works pretty well so far.

Nov 12, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Ploopie

Problem solved! - The Denon customer support team are very good.....

1. get yourself a Digital Optical Toslink Coax Coaxial to Analog RCA R/L Audio Converter Adaptern -ebay £10

2. 1 Optical cable (came with the converter)

3. 1 One HDMI cable

4. 1 set of RCA analogue canbles (standard red/white from way back when)

5. Down load the Denon app on your iphone (not mandatrory but makes controlling thigs easier)

Toslink/Apple TV

Toslink into mains

Apple TV HDMI into Receiver (BD in my case)

RCA Cable from Toslink into chosen analogue port on reciever (BD in my case)

Optical cable from Toslink into Apple TV

Done.......

Plug speaker into your back surround ports on your Denon Reciever

Make sure you assign Zone 2 on your Denon setup menu - Setup -> speker setup -> Zone 2

Use your Denon app to turn on Zone 2 (easier than using the remote control)

Open Itunes and go to airplay and select apple TV to stream too.

You sill now hear streamed music from Itunes playing through ZONE 2.

Done

Thanks all for youre help.....

Using a Denon 1912 with Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.