Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 7/Mavericks won't open PayPal while others will

Safari 7 on my MBP seems to have a problem with PayPal. It won't open the site and returns the "Safari can't open the page "https://www.paypal.com" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "www.paypal.com"" message. I have reset Safari, erased cashes, erased history and added DNS servers to the lookup list. My other browsers find it fine, even on the same machine. I can go to my wifes iMac and it finds it fine even with Safari 7. I don't know what to do on this machine. Any suggestions? I haven't changed any security settings recently either and all recent updates have been done.

Many, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 11:14 AM

Don't add DNS servers to the list. Replace whatever is there with this:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

In Safari, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test. Any difference?

Notes:

1. If you lose Internet access after making the above change to your network settings, delete the Google servers in the Network preference pane, then select the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should restore the original DNS settings; otherwise restore them yourself.

2. I’m not advocating Google or anything else as a DNS provider; the server addresses are offerred merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 11:14 AM in response to The_ErsatZ_Planet

Don't add DNS servers to the list. Replace whatever is there with this:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

In Safari, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test. Any difference?

Notes:

1. If you lose Internet access after making the above change to your network settings, delete the Google servers in the Network preference pane, then select the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should restore the original DNS settings; otherwise restore them yourself.

2. I’m not advocating Google or anything else as a DNS provider; the server addresses are offerred merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

Nov 5, 2013 5:54 PM in response to The_ErsatZ_Planet

I have tried all the above and it still doesn't work on this machine. I can still get there fine with Chrome and FireFox on this same machine and I can reach it on my main desktop machine (a 8-core tower) and my wife's iMac using Safari. Something got squirrled on this machine though. Some network setting or security setting somewhere has messed it up. I have alternatives but I bet the next time I try to buy something, Safari will page out to PayPal and not be able to finish the transaction. I have reset Safari in every way I know of and have used utilities to kill the cashe and it is starting to really bug me now.

UPDATE- I just logged in as a guest user on this machine and it connected fine. It has to be some Sefari pref file for my main user. I am ready to nuke anything with Safari in its name in my user folder...

Nov 5, 2013 6:00 PM in response to The_ErsatZ_Planet

Back up all data, then take each of the following steps that you haven't already taken.

Step 1

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Date & Time

Select the Time Zone tab in the preference pane that opens and check that the time zone matches your location. Then select the Date & Time tab. Check that the data and time shown (including the year) are correct, and correct them if not.

Check the box marked

Set date and time automatically

if it's not already checked, and select one of the Apple time servers from the menu next to it.

Step 2
Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/System/Library/Keychains/SystemCACertificates.keychain

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open. The dialog should show "You can only read" in the Sharing & Permissions section.

Repeat with this line:

/System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain

If instead of the Info dialog, you get a message that either file can't be found, reinstall OS X.
*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard ( command-C). Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Step 3

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

In the upper left corner of the window, you should see a list headed Keychains. If not, click the button in the lower left corner that looks like a triangle inside a square.

In the Keychains list, there should be an item named System. If not, select

File Add Keychain

from the menu bar and add the following item:

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

From the Category list in the lower left corner of the window, select Certificates. Look carefully at the list of certificates in the right side of the window. If any of them has a a blue-and-white plus sign or a red "X" in the icon, double-click it. An inspection window will open. Click the disclosure triangle labeled Trust to disclose the trust settings for the certificate. From the menu at the top, select

When using this certificate: Use System Defaults

Close the inspection window. You'll be prompted for your administrator password to update the settings. Revert all the certificates with non-default trust settings.

Step 4

Select My Certificates from the Category list. From the list of certificates shown, delete any that are marked with a red X as expired or invalid.

Export all remaining certificates, delete them from the keychain, and reimport. For instructions, select

Help Keychain Access Help

from the menu bar and search for the term "export" in the help window. Export each certificate as an individual file; don't combine them into one big file.

Step 5

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences Certificates

There are three menus in the window. Change the selection in the top two to Best attempt, and in the bottom one to CRL.

Step 6

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

/var/db/crls

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "crls" should open. Move all the files in that folder to the Trash. You’ll be prompted for your administrator login password.

Step 7

Reboot, empty the Trash, and test.

Nov 5, 2013 6:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Wow! I tried all the above with no sucess. Very frustrating. I will try cloneing the Sefari preferences and any other related Library files from the other machines where it works. I would hunt down a copy of Safari ro reinstall but that seems friutless since it works from the Guest account.

Thanks for the suggestions, your Kung Fu is obviously better than mine!

Nov 5, 2013 7:46 PM in response to The_ErsatZ_Planet

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Nov 18, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

Wow! After working for most of the day on this, your DNS 8.8.8.8 trick did it. Since logging on this mornng, a bunch of websites and Apple Mail could not connect. The iCloud website would load but when trying to log on, I got the Connection Error prompt. When trying to go to Apple.com, Paypal.com and my LogMeIn account, I was given the "not connected to the Internet" alert even though every other website worked fine. And what's bizarre is that four different devices, an iMac, an iPhone 4s, an Apple TV and a Nexus7 Android all experience the exact same phenomenon. My only guess is that the DNS that my company's server was using got changed somehow.

THANK YOU! 🙂

Safari 7/Mavericks won't open PayPal while others will

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.