Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I set up Contacts on iCloud, Contacts on my Mac consumes about 100% of a CPU, per Activity Monitor. Does that make sense?

I don't think this should be happening, but I haven't been able to find any reference to such a situation in Apple Support or on Forums.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 9:48 AM

That shouldn't be happening. Try going to System Preferences>iCloud, uncheck Contacts, choose Delete from Mac (the will still be on the iCloud server), restart your Mac, then go back and check Contacts again (your iCloud contacts will redownload from the iCloud server).

4 replies

Nov 6, 2013 7:37 PM in response to randers4

I'm trying to do this. I unchecked Contacts, restarted my Mac and lo and behold, Contacts was rechecked! I unchecked it and checked Activity Monitor. By the time I returned to System Preferences, Contacts was rechecked. This happened 3 times. Now it has remained rechecked, AddressBookSourceSync is consuming over 90% of a CPU (mostly over 95%). I'm letting it go for about half an hour. I'm debating whether to let it go and see if it settles down (no evidence that it will). CPU time is over 30 minutes now. I think I'm going to quit (or Force Quit) AddressBookSourceSync, follow the suggested steps and see what happens.

When I set up Contacts on iCloud, Contacts on my Mac consumes about 100% of a CPU, per Activity Monitor. Does that make sense?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.