Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No right click after Maverick update

I updated to Maverick, now I have lost right click on Desktop icons (only) as well as right click on desktop background, say to add a folder! I can still right click within a document, and I have double checked my settings. This is both with my trackpad & while using a mouse.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 10:12 AM

That sounds like LaunchServices. These are only cache files but can get corrupted.

Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the prompt to rebuild LaunchServices:

(be sure to copy the entire line it's a scroll)

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 10:12 AM in response to Dbidz

That sounds like LaunchServices. These are only cache files but can get corrupted.

Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the prompt to rebuild LaunchServices:

(be sure to copy the entire line it's a scroll)

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

No right click after Maverick update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.