Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone please assist in connecting Powerbook G4 wirelessly?

I have a Powerbook G4 running 10.3.9 667MHz that has an AirPort card 9.52, and am trying to get connected to my Clear wireless spot. Was hoping that someone could help me, if it's possible, to tweak the settings to get it connected. It shows connected for a few seconds at a time, but apparently there is no real connectivity because it won't open safari, itunes or anything else. I'm not a techie, and it would be very helpful if someone could offer support in laymen's terms. I was just hoping to help my grandson to have a computer while he stays with me. It will be an easier visit for both of us. (: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x), G4 10.3.9 667MHz Airport 9.52

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 11:25 AM

I am going under the pretense that you have a HOME NETWORK that has a name you must make sure that you are connected to your Home network and if it is a secure network you must type in the password to that network to get a secure connection. Second having an Open Network is one that doesnot reqquire a password to connect to and these types of open networks are NOT SECURE and can cause privacy issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262

There are several options available to you depending on the type of ROuter you are using.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 11:25 AM in response to godoylego

I am going under the pretense that you have a HOME NETWORK that has a name you must make sure that you are connected to your Home network and if it is a secure network you must type in the password to that network to get a secure connection. Second having an Open Network is one that doesnot reqquire a password to connect to and these types of open networks are NOT SECURE and can cause privacy issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262

There are several options available to you depending on the type of ROuter you are using.

Nov 5, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thanks for taking the time do reply, Donald. I have a Clear Spot that doesn't have any kind of router, it's a wireless, take-it-with-you type of device that I use to connect my Macbook with with no problems, but it will not work to connect the PowerBook G4 with the current configuration of the computer. I don't know enough about network settings, etc. to adjust the settings so that it will connect. It appears to connect intermittently, at least when according to the Airport indicator at the top of the screen, but it only stays lit for a few seconds at a time, and obviously there is no connectivity because, even during those few seconds, I cannot open any web pages, itunes, etc.

Nov 5, 2013 9:28 PM in response to godoylego

Go up to the top menu bar on your Mac and choose the second icon to the left of the Day and Date. Right click it and it will give you a list of all the networks that you are in range of.. You will need to select the one that is the name of the device you have and add it to the settings there and it should enable you to connect throgh your Airport Extreme Card in your computer. Create a Network, Name it and Password Protect it.

Nov 5, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thanks again, Donald. I know how to connect to a network, as I've said I have a Macbook and don't have a problem connecting with it. It's the settings for creating a network on the G4 that mystefies me. It's obviously different from my macbook, which came ready to connect out of the box. This might have been previously hooked up using another method, and someone had it set for that method of connecting....I'm guessing that maybe that could be the problem. Was hoping someone had one that they are connecting or have connected who might be able to help tweak the settings, ie the DNS, etc that is within the box when creating a network. Maybe it's too much to expect someone to write it out in laymen's terms here, but I just thought I'd try. Thanks for your suggestions.

Can someone please assist in connecting Powerbook G4 wirelessly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.