Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import iPhoto library from external hard drive to new mac

I had a MBP that was stolen. Luckly I copied the hard drive.

I now have a new MBP and I want to import all the photos from the hard drive onto my computer. I have about 2000 photos just sorted into files, I then have a further 5000 photos that are in the old iphoto library.

How do I move them across so iPhoto on my new mac sorts them all?

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 11:33 AM

First copy the old iPhoto library to the Pictures folder on the new MBP and open it with the newer version of iPhoto.

Note: if the old library was created with iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier and you have iPhoto 9.5 on your new MBP you'll need to run this updater on it before opening with iPhoto 9.5: iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1

Once you have the old library converted to the new version and up and running you can begin importing the other 2000 photos into it. If they are in folders on the EHD just drag each folder into the open iPhoto library window and a new event will be created with the same name as the folder had.

OT

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Thomo5949

First copy the old iPhoto library to the Pictures folder on the new MBP and open it with the newer version of iPhoto.

Note: if the old library was created with iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier and you have iPhoto 9.5 on your new MBP you'll need to run this updater on it before opening with iPhoto 9.5: iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1

Once you have the old library converted to the new version and up and running you can begin importing the other 2000 photos into it. If they are in folders on the EHD just drag each folder into the open iPhoto library window and a new event will be created with the same name as the folder had.

OT

Apr 17, 2014 9:10 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad.

Without running the updater, you lose all Events and Albums from the old library. Arghh!

The only option without it is to rebuild/import the images from the old library by holding Option(Alt)-Command on launching iPhoto 9. Nothing in that dialgoue will recover that organizational data.

I'm very grateful for this solution!

import iPhoto library from external hard drive to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.