Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mail App

How can I reinstall Mail.app?

I can't back in time with Time Machine as I don't have it.

I can't custom install app from Maverics as it offers reinstall the whole system and that I don't want to.

The problem is that I somehow delete some .plist files and now every smartbox I put on Mail Bookmarks panel keeps disappering every time I quit Mail.app

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 12:14 PM

22 replies

Nov 5, 2013 3:14 PM in response to alabancox

Unless apple changed something, by default all these preference files are not existent until you start up the app. I could go through all of these preference files to understand what each one does, but honestly it would be faster to download mavericks again and reinstall, I don't think you will need to wipe everything, just "upgrade" on top of it and it should do what to me is a repair install, unless apple changed that too.

Nov 5, 2013 3:18 PM in response to rustykerr123

I've read that all other programs will be lost if I install mavericks on top of mavericks. There was that com.apple.mail.plist by default that I overwrote as I read here or somewhere that it would help me have old settings as I wrote before all that story that timemachine didn't give me the chance to import mail settings from mountain lion backup.

I need clean com.apple.mail.plist file again to make sure and test mt theory.

Reinstall Mail App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.