Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing cookies, cache and what are plug ins?

Greetings,

I followed a post here from SANIBEL explaining how to successfully clear my cache. Then to clean out the cookies under the Security tab of Preferences by clicking on REMOVE ALL WEBSITE DATA. I then clicked on DETAILS and see that there are still lots of "PLUG-INS" there. Is it necessary to also remove them, i.e. will they also perhaps contribute to interference and if so, must I remove them manually?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 1:08 PM

Those are cookies you see not plug-ins.

Root and user plug-ins are stored in: /Library/Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Plug-ins or extensions are add ons that can enhancet the way you use a browser.

This is how to clear the Safari cache.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now click Develop from the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Empty Caches.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2013 1:08 PM in response to lutra

Those are cookies you see not plug-ins.

Root and user plug-ins are stored in: /Library/Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Plug-ins or extensions are add ons that can enhancet the way you use a browser.

This is how to clear the Safari cache.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select: Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now click Develop from the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Empty Caches.

Nov 5, 2013 1:16 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you Carolyn!

I did clear the cache.

And after I cleared the "cookies" by clicking on Remove all website data, it only removed the ones named as cookies, do I then just leave these other "291 websites stored cookies or other data". Or remove them manually? You explained very nicely to me that even though it says PLUG-INS they are still cookies, but were not removed.

Nov 5, 2013 1:23 PM in response to lutra

Cookies and plug-ins are two different things entirely.

Even if you Remove All Website Data from the Safari > Preferences > Privacy window (cookiees and data) cookies will be placed on the hard drive again everytime you visit a website.

To manage internet plug-ins select the Security tab in the Safari preferences window.

Click: Manage Website Settings...

Read here > Apple - Apple's Use of Cookies

Clearing cookies, cache and what are plug ins?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.