3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 1:23 PM by Carolyn Samit
lutra Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Greetings,

I followed a post here from SANIBEL explaining how to successfully clear my cache. Then to clean out the cookies under the Security tab of Preferences by clicking on REMOVE ALL WEBSITE DATA. I then clicked on DETAILS and see that there are still lots of "PLUG-INS" there. Is it necessary to also remove them, i.e. will they also perhaps contribute to interference and if so, must I remove them manually?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • 1. Re: Clearing cookies, cache and what are plug ins?
    Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

Those are cookies you see not plug-ins.

Root and user plug-ins are stored in:     /Library/Plug-Ins   and    ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Plug-ins or extensions are add ons that can enhancet the way you use a browser.

This is how to clear the Safari cache.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

Select:  Show Develop menu in menu bar

Now click Develop from the menu bar. From the drop down menu click Empty Caches.

• 2. Re: Clearing cookies, cache and what are plug ins?
    lutra Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Carolyn!

I did clear the cache.

And after I cleared the "cookies" by clicking on Remove all website data, it only removed the ones named as cookies, do I then just leave these other "291 websites stored cookies or other data". Or remove them manually? You explained very nicely to me that even though it says PLUG-INS they are still cookies, but were not removed.

• 3. Re: Clearing cookies, cache and what are plug ins?
    Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

Cookies and plug-ins are two different things entirely.

Even if you Remove All Website Data from the Safari > Preferences > Privacy window (cookiees and data) cookies will be placed on the hard drive again everytime you visit a website.

To manage internet plug-ins select the Security tab in the Safari preferences window.

Click:  Manage Website Settings...

Read here >  Apple - Apple's Use of Cookies