Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't work but other browsers do

Hello everyone,

Very recently safari has stopped working on my macbook pro. When I say safari isn't working I mean that the application is opening but no sites or webpages load. When I go to Chrome however everything loads without a problem. I am sure this is not a wifi problem because I have experienced it on multiple networks. I have tried most everything I know, I've cleared the cache, restarted safari many a time, I've scanned my computer for possible threats and I just don't know what is wrong. I've noticed multiple people have this problem through googling but none of the answers posted have fixed my safari. If anyone could provide any insight I'd be thankful because I would like to continue using safari as my main browser and not have to switch to chrome.

Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 12:58 PM

11 replies

Jul 23, 2017 5:50 AM in response to reloadcom

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is a couple of years old, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

Safari Reset

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Nov 5, 2013 1:12 PM in response to Th3Jack0f5pades

Several things to try ..

Make sure the Firewall is turned off in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

Go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced. Click Change Settings to the right of Proxies:

That will open the System Preferences > Network proxies tab. Deselect any checked boxes on the left then click OK.

Try this DNS.

Open System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS

Click + and type:

Click + again and do the same.

Click OK.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Nov 5, 2013 5:17 PM in response to Th3Jack0f5pades

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Safari doesn't work but other browsers do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.