Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garamond in OS X 10.9 radically changed

Almost 90% of all our office publishing is in Garamond, thousands of files in pages, the same type face in the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. We updated one of the office MacBook Pros to Mavrick, OS X, version 10.9 and now when we open those files the font spacing has drastically changed.

I checked the font book. It is on and is comparable to the previous version.

Here is what we now have,

User uploaded file

This is what it is supposed to be.

User uploaded file

Is there a fix that will not require us to reformat file by file?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 1:18 PM

9 replies

Nov 12, 2013 4:50 PM in response to sbilsbury

There are two versions of Garamond on OSX 10.9 Mavericks:

Garamond (Regular, Italic & Bold) NB there is no Bold Italic

Adobe Garamond Pro (Regular, Italic, Bold & Bold Italic)

There are four possibilities:

1. The original document was created in Word with a different version of Garamond

2. You have installed Word for Mac on your Mac and it has the same name but different kerning maps

3. You have used Garamond Bold Italic and this doesn't appear to exist in OSX (Change it and see)

4. You have another Garamond from somewhere (there are dozens of published versions) and it is clashing with the system version.

Open Font Book:

select whichever Garamonds you have > Menu > File > Validate Font/File

Peter

Nov 26, 2014 1:50 PM in response to sbilsbury

Like AllergyDoc, I found this on an old computer (spotlight searched "Garamond" and found it located in Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Fonts). Went to that folder, then dragged the Garamond file onto a thumb drive. Took the thumb drive to my new computer, opened FontBook, selected "Add fonts . . ." from the File menu, and navigated to my thumb drive (not under Desktop, but further down on the sidebar), and selected the Garamond file. It imported and is now in my list of fonts in Pages.

Garamond in OS X 10.9 radically changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.