Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive not recognized in HDD bay.

Randomly, my laptop gave me the spinny pinwheel of death when I opened it, and upon restart, I got the good old folder with a "?" indicating there was no OS. Naturally, I booted up in network recovery, and low and behold, my SSD was not in the Disk utility list. I made an adjustment some time ago where I removed my optical drive, and installed the old HDD that came with the computer in it's place. I switched the drives, so that the SSD was where the optical drive should be, and the HDD in the drive bay. Upon startup, the computer booted up as usual from the SSD, and the HDD was not recognized. So from there I conlcuded that both the SSD and HDD are working correctly without failure. After putting the drives back where they originally were (HHD in optical bay, and SSD in Drive bay), and I booted up holding the option key, The SSD and recovery drive were there, but I received a prohibited sign (circle with slash) after a minute. Now it is not recognizing the drive again. I'm not sure whats going on, anyone hav any input?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.3 GHz i5, 4GB RAM, OCZ 120GB SSD

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 2:41 PM

2 replies

Hard drive not recognized in HDD bay.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.